The Meteor, The Stone And A Long Glass Of Sherbet is a game of interactive fiction written in Inform and set in the universe of the old Zork games (published by Infocom). In the game your character is an ambassador to the Northland Empire from the slightly more technologically advanced democracy of the Duchy. Your secret mission is to try and figure out what happened to the meteor that landed somewhere within the Northland Empire. The game is set many years after the Zork games, but in the same general area. Many things have changed, but you can recognize bits and pieces of the old Great Underground Empire, most notably the white house in front of which the original Zork began.

In the process of the game, you'll come across the meteor in question, the famed philosopher's stone and, of course, a long glass of sherbet (which is somehow supposed to help get you off the back of an elephant). The puzzles in the game are of a similar nature to those from Zork and similar works of interactive fiction, but the parser is nowhere near as sophisticated. The scope is also significantly smaller, for this is a much shorter game.

In 1996 The Meteor, The Stone And A Long Glass Of Sherbet won the rec.arts.int-fiction Annual Interactive Fiction Competition which is awarded to the best new short work of interactive fiction entered in the contest. It is a free game and can be downloaded at any mirrors of the old Interactive Fiction Archive.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.