Sindarin or "Grey Elvish" is one of several constructed fictional languages developed by British fantasy author J.R.R. Tolkien for his novels set in Middle-Earth. The following is the exact version of The Lord's Prayer Tolkien himself devised in Sindarin, as featured in the article Ae Adar Nín (Pater Noster in Sindarin), published in the 44th issue of the linguistic analysis newsletter Vinyar Tengwar, edited by Carl F. Hostetter of the publishing group Elvish Linguistic Fellowship. Ae Adar Nín was edited by Bill Welden, who transcribed the contents of the article from notes which were written by Tolkien on the back of a postcard.

Ae Adar nín i vi Menel,
no aer i eneth lín,
tolo i arnad lín,
caro den i innas lín,
bo Ceven sui vi Menel.
Anno ammen sír i mbas ilaurui vín,
ar díheno ammen i úgerth vín,
sui mín i gohenam di ai gerir úgerth ammen.

My Father who is in Heaven,
holy is Thy name.
Thy kingdom approaches;
may Thy will be done,
on Earth like in Heaven.
Give to us today our daily bread,
and release us from our misdeeds,
like we forgive those who commit misdeeds against us.

The Quenya version of The Lord's Prayer, titled Átaremma, can be found in the node linked here. Along with Sindarin, Quenya is the other most fully developed "Elvish" conlang Tolkien created. Notably, while they are present in the Quenya version, Tolkien omits the closing lines from the Sindarin version of the prayer, "Lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil, for Thine is the kingdom, power, and glory forever, Amen." No explicit reason is given on the postcard as to why this may be; scans of the postcard indicate there is still plenty of room to include these lines, so it does not seem to be an issue of running out of space to write.

Iron Noder 2023, 12/30

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.