Busy bar at the Entrance of Oamaru's Victorian District

At the very end of Thames Street, Oamaru's closest thing to a main street, is a small, hunched building, sporting a belltower. After entering, you stand in a bar with an open fire, rather low ceilings, a large, curved bar and a couple of wooden tables. There are doors which lead to a large, covered courtyard, full of flowers, shrubs and tables where you can enjoy your evening with some fresh air. The punters are a rather sedate mix of tourists, farmers and locals, most of them here for the rump steak, which does have a pretty good reputation.

Service is swift and friendly, there are a couple of good beers on tab (Mac's Gold, Speight's, Old Black), and the whole place oozes a relaxed, kiwi atmosphere. The food is surprisingly good and well presented, but mainly basic pub fare (which doesn't have to be a bad thing): steaks, chicken, chops and chips.

On the weekend, you can watch the Otago Highlanders play on a big screen in the courtyard, while happily munching away on your huge portions. Of course, these are simple pleasures, but hey, there's nothing wrong with some simple pleasures on the weekend.


The Last Post
12 Thames Street, Oamaru
New Zealand
Phone: +64 3 434 8080

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.