This rather specialized museum, situated in the Icelandic capital Reykjavik, is devoted entirely to penises. The collection currently consists of over 80 of them, representing almost all of Iceland’s land and sea mammals, from the tiny, such as rats and field mice, to the huge, such as whales.

Unsurprisingly, it is the whale exhibits which make for the most startling viewing. Some species of whales have genitals that are up to 10 feet long and weigh more than 100 pounds. The museum boasts 27 examples from 12 different species, and that’s a lot of whale wang.

Size isn’t everything though, and I'm sure the reindeer and polar bear specimens are well worth taking a look at, as are the exhibits which show examples of ingenious uses for penises, such as purses, walking sticks, and salt and pepper shakers (yes, really).

Maybe it's worth postponing your visit though. The museum now has a legally binding letter of donation from an 83-year-old Icelandic man who has pledged his penis to the collection. They’ll have it on display just as soon as he dies.


    Sources:
  • Reuters, May 1999
  • "Y100 Morning Show - Bizarro Files" page at http://www.y100.com/bizarro.htm which adds some details to the Reuters report
  • Sunday Telegraph article, October 10 1999, which updates and corrects some inaccuracies in the Reuters report
    Further reading:
  • Alyson Adventure’s page at http://www.alysonadventures.com/bike/gay/vacation.htm says, "Biking with our gay group is a great way to see Iceland's surreal landscapes". And guess where they’re planning to visit on the last day of their tour...
  • Tragically, the Museum's web page has moved and I was unable to find it, so I can't direct you to any pictures. If anyone does succeed in finding it, please /msg me. Thanks.

UPDATE October 21 2002

Yay! Many thanks to wertperch, who just /msgd me with the URL of the museums' new website. It's at:
http://www.ismennt.is/not/phallus/ens.htm

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.