1000 BCE

Egyptians used linen sheaths as condoms in order to prevent disease.

100 CE

Evidence of condoms can be found in cave paintings in France. Romans may have used condoms made of muscle tissue of dead warriors.

1500-1600

Condoms made of linen have been found in England from this time. Mostly used to prevent against syphilis. Later they were used to prevent pregnancy and were dipped in chemicals to be used as spermicides.

1700

Animal intestines began to be used as a condom instead of linen. There are two theories of where the name condom came from some. But both theories originate during this time. Some say that King Charles II of England named them and used them so he would not impregnate women and have illegitimate children. Others say that Casanova named them.

1800

In 1844 Goodyear and Hancock distributed mass produced condoms. They were made from a kind of rubber that is extremely elastic.

1861

First advertisement for condoms.

1873

Comstock Law outlawed the advertising of birth control. And they couldn't be sent or sold through the mail.

1880

First latex condom was made.

1930

Condom use became wide spread. But the American Social Hygiene Association tried to get people to stop using them, thinking that people with diseases should not have pleasure and sex.

1960

Condom use diminished in the United States and disease spread, luckily the pill was widely used so pregnancy remained low.

1990

Polyurethane condoms were first produced. People with sensitive skin could use them. In 1993 annual production of condoms was 8.5 billion. Condoms were made in various sizes, colors, flavors, and brands. Women can now even use female condoms.

Thanks to avert.org

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.