The Greatest Salesman in the World is a 1967 self-help book written by Og Mandino set in the time just before Christianity arose. The book follows the life of an aging man, Hafid. Hafid was once a camelboy who rose to become "the greastest salesman" by reciting and practicing 10 principles given to him by his master and written in the book. The main theme is self-promotion but it was very dragged out and would have been more powerful in half the number of pages. It tries to make you feel good while you're reading it, then when you're halfway through it, you think, "Damn, what a waste of time!"


I often call Dr. Donahue, dean of the Honors College at NJIT, The Greatest Salesman in the World . When I was choosing colleges in early 1996, I chose NJIT for financial reasons and because Dr. Donahue sold it to me. Dr. Donahue once said that it was hard to always have a smile on his face as he often had to have when he was showing prospective students around and putting up with their parents. This past spring, just out of the hospital and in failing health, he showed up for Dean's Day (for incoming and undecided high school seniors) to either make students feel confident about their choice or to convince them to choose NJIT.

I didn't have the best of grades in my four years at NJIT. Often I fell below the GPA requirement for the Honors College and its free scholarship and thus was required to have a talk with Dr. Donahue, who let me stay in for all 4 years. Aside from talking to me about how to improve and all that jazz, he made me feel damn confident in myself that I could kick ass in my classes. Finally, in my junior year, I made Dean's List, and I owe a lot to him. What's important in Dr. Donahue's salesmanship wasn't his actual selling. It was making the buyer feel damn good about his purchase for all eternity.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.