The triumphant reunion of the famous jazz trombone duo; J.J. Johnson and Kai Winding are playing together again with their trademark formula of jazz standards and contemporary pieces.
This recording also features some world-class sidemen: Pianist Bill Evans and Bassist Paul Chambers are both veterans of Miles Davis's Kind of Blue ensemble, while drummers Roy Haynes and Arthur Taylor were coming off of stints with Thelonius Monk and Bud Powell, respectively.
J.J. Johnson & Kai Winding:The Great Kai & J.J.
November 2, 1960 (#1,3,6,7)
November 4, 1960 (#2,5,8,11)
November 9, 1960 (#4,9,10)
Released on Impulse Records.
- J.J. Johnson, trombone
- Kai Winding, trombone
- Bill Evans, piano
- Paul Chambers, bass (on #1,3,6,7)
- Roy Haynes, drums (on #1,3,6,7)
- Tommy Williams, bass (all others)
- Arthur Taylor, drums (all others)
- This Could Be the Start of Something Big (3:09) (Steve Allen)
- Georgia On My Mind (3:48) (Hoagy Carmichael-Stuart Gorrell)
- Blue Monk (4:28) (Thelonius Monk)
- Judy (4:03) (J.J. Johnson)
- Alone Together (3:33) (Arthur Schwartz-Howard Dietz)
- Side By Side (3:02) (Harry Woods)
- I Concentrate On You (4:00) (Cole Porter)
- Theme From Picnic (4:01) (George W. Duning)
- Trixie (5:06) (J.J. Johnson)
- Going, Going, Gong! (3:08) (Kai Winding)
- Just for a Thrill (3:19) (Lil Armstrong-Don Raye)