I've suffered from migraines for years and when I visited a new doctor he recommended trying acupressure between my thumb and forefinger. I tried it (somewhat skeptical) and to my surprise it actually worked. Having done some research on the Internet I discovered that this point on your body is known as the Large Intestine Point 4 ("Hoku" meaning "The Joining of the Valleys") or 'The Great Eliminator' amongst the Holistically wise. The Great Eliminator got its nickname not from eliminating head pain, but because it can cause pregnant women to miscarry (it actually stimulates delivery!) and for that reason practitioners are forbidden from holding or needling this point.

For anyone who's interested in trying this technique (and isn't pregnant), here's what you do:
  • Locate the fleshy area between your thumb and forefinger close to where the bones meet. Bring your opposite hand across to this area.
  • Breathe in and then, as you breathe out, slowly begin to apply the pressure until you feel resistance or pain.
  • Hold the point for the rest of the out-breath and as you breathe in, begin to release the pressure for the rest of the in-breath.
  • Repeat five times and then change hands.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.