An ancient Chinese text which depicts the daily life of Hsi-men, a rather perverse, and exceedingly wealthy young man living during the reign of Hui Tsung.

Hsi-men is a rather unpleasant sort: he disdains learning, favors martial arts, and spends his days with a gang called "The Ten Brothers", visiting whore houses, gambling, and guzzling vast amounts of booze. Most of the Ch'inghe province is deathly afraid of him, as he controls the majority of local political officials.

The story revolves, primarily, around Hsi-men's sexual exploits. His first wife died, and his second was described as 'tolerant': thus, he employed a pair of prostitutes to keep the old bo well oiled.

One of the prostitutes, Chuo, promptly dies, and Hsi-men becomes obsessed with a former concubine -- P'an Chi-lien (who wants to screw her brother's friend) -- when she drops a bamboo pole on his head.

Hsi-men goes on to stalk P'an, querying her neighbors about her, and having her lured to secluded locales so that he can get his groove on. The pair are, of course, eventually discovered, and a convoluted plot ensues, in which P'an's brother, (probably overcome by jealous rage) and his friend decide to catch the pair in the act.

The plot thickens. Various other torrid plots continue, going through a vast, downward spiral of a tale, consisting of betrayal, murder, poisoning, and dirty sex.

In the end, Hsi-men chases a woman named Moonbeam about with his enormous penis, in order to terrify her.

I never understood the Chinese.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.