Part One Part Two Part Three Part Four Part Five Part Six Part Seven

It’s been a long day. You’ve endured a day of taunts at the office about your supermodel girlfriend, since the newspapers managed to get a clear picture of your face. Your boss managed to edit your article so heavily it’ll be much easier to rewrite the whole damn thing. Plus, you know that at home there’ll be a pile of dirty dishes with your name on it.

You traipse home in the usual fashion, ignoring that stares on the Metro. Finally, you get to your apartment, and let yourself in. You can hear someone throwing up in the bathroom.

Is she sick again?

Your girlfriend walks slowly out of the bathroom, moving as though she’s dizzy or drunk. She’s pale, but if she was drunk you’d be able to tell. She tends to be very loud when she’s had too much, not this quiet and drawn.

“What’s wrong?”

She sits down on a nearby chair and sighs. You join her and look at her properly. As well as being pale, there are lines on her face that weren’t there before, and her beautiful grey eyes are swimming with tears.

“I don’t know how to tell you this… I’ve been sick a lot, and today I fainted at work. One of the girls said I should try doing a pregnancy test. It… it was positive.”

You’re stunned. She’s having your child. You feel as though you’ve been winded, like you’ve been hit by a rampaging bull.

“That’s…wonderful news.”

She smiles through her tears. It’s a big step. You both know it is. It’s really bizarre to think that you’ll be a father soon.

“Do you know how long you’ve been pregnant?”

She smiles again. The tears have leaked down her face, smearing her foundation.

“Yes. About two months.”

You feel… elated. You want to shout it out to the whole world.

I’m going to be a father.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.