From the liner notes to 13 Other Dimensions:
IMAGINE THE SOUND!!! THE LUSCIOUS SOUND OF SONGS!!! SONGS SUNG BY PUPPETS WAY BACK IN THE 1970'S!!! THIS IS THE ESSENTIAL MAGIC COMBINATION THAT YOU HOLD IN YOUR HAND. THIS IS THE GIRAFFES!!! IMAGINE A LITTLE GIRAFFE AND AN EARLESS RABBIT WITH THE ASTONISHING ABILITY TO IMPROVISE SONGS OUT OF THIN AIR INSTANTLY WITH ONLY SECONDS TO PREPARE!!! IMAGINE A FOURSOME OF HOTEL LOBBY JAZZ PUPPETS LED BY A FATHER AND SON TEAM OF WILD MONKEYS ON GUITAR AND HORNS BACKED UP BY A SHY BEAR ON THE 2-STRING BASITAR AND A SMALL DUCK ON WHEELS TICKLING THE IVORY KEYS LIKE SHE HAS A DARK SECRET!!! NOW IF YOU WILL IMAGINE THESE TWO MUSICAL PATHS COLLIDING AND CREATING A SOUND LIKE NONE YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE!!!
Well, actually, The Giraffes is Chris Ballew, formerly of The Presidents of the United States of America. The albums out currently are songs he recorded in his basement on a four track. Imaginative, clever, beautiful...just good stuff. Highlights on these two albums are Hopeless (rub it in), a insanely catchy tune about how he wishes he was a better organ player, When She's Drunk, and Gone Again Gone, his tribute to Mark Sandman of Morphine. Plus, the first and last songs on The Days Are Filled With Years are lovely.

I talked to Mssr. Ballew after his show at Bumbershoot last year (really -- he's a very nice guy, spent a lot of time just talking to the people there when he could have been doing a million other things). He was there with a backup band (I've forgotton their names, unfortunately), and said this new iteration of the Giraffes would be touring and recording some new songs. Then again, he said it would be last fall...so who knows when that's going to come together. The sound still has that core of innocent fun, but it's a little fuller, a little more rawk. Good stuff.

Albums:

13 Other Dimensions - My Own Planet Recordings, 1997
The Days Are Filled With Years - Orange Recordings, 2000

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.