The Four Agreements
A Toltec Wisdom Book
by don Miguel Ruiz
Don Miguel Ruiz is a nagual, a Toltec shaman. He explains that we all live in a fog of beliefs that serve as filters for all our experiences. This fog of beliefs ("I am ugly." "I am stupid." "No one will love me." "I hate ____". etc.) keeps us from attaining happiness. He believes that making four agreements with yourself can help clear away this fog. I think that these four agreements would be a good addition to the "training" new noders receive as we Earn Our Bullshit.
(From the cover of The Four Agreements)
- 1. Be impeccable with your word
- Speak with integrity. Say only what you mean. Avoid using the word to speak against yourself or to gossip about others. Use the power of your word in the direction of truth and love.
- E2 context: Node for the Ages, Node What You Know, get your spelling right, get your facts straight, and check your grammar.
- 2. Don't take anything personally
- Nothing others do is because of you. What others say and do is a projection of their own reality, their own dream. When you are immune to the opinions and actions of others, you won't be the victim of needless suffering.
- E2 context: Nodes get ignored, nodes get downvoted, nodes get Nuked, and nodes get killed but the sun will still rise in the morning (unless you're in Antarctica in June). Every user from Novice up can downvote. Editors, Content Editors, and gods have even more power. There are even rumors of Node Assassins. Try not to take it personally. If you can manage that you'll be a happier Noder.
- 3. Don't make assumptions
- Find the courage to ask questions and to express what you really want. Communicate with others as clearly as you can to avoid misunderstandings, sadness, and drama. With just this one agreement, you can completely transform your life.
- E2 context: The second point in A Couple of Tips for Noders lays this out very well. Node What You Know and check your facts.
- 4. Always do your best
- Your best is going to change from moment to moment; it will be different when you are healthy as opposed to sick. Under any circumstances, simply do your best, and you will avoid self-judgement, self-abuse, and regret.
- E2 context: Read Everything FAQ, attend Everything University, don't Node For Numbers (NFN). Find your noding style, double-check your spelling and (again) Node What You Know.
This book might be helpful in real life, too.
Is this a metanode or a book review? Sheesh!