a.k.a. Das Erste Wiener Gemüseorchester

An extremely creative ensemble formed in Febuary 1998 by a collective of Viennese musicians and gastronomes in order to explore the sonic possibilities of musical instruments made of vegetables. Current creations include: the celery clarinet, the carrot flute, the pumpkin tympani, salad, eggplant castanets, the gourd xylophone, bongos, and even stringed instruments somewhere between an hurdy-gurdy and a dyslexic cello. Recently, the group has added kitchen appliances to their palette, for sound reinforcement.

The first CD by the Vegetable Orchestra, "Gemise" (Extraplatte Records), is a mixture of avant-garde soundsculpture, classical influences, parody, and ambient music. Their upcoming release (December 2002) features - shall we say it? - jungle influences, including dancefloor beats and visceral pumpkin rhythms.

The orchestra performs once or twice a month during the Winter and Fall, and less often throughout the year. Their home page, in English and German, is www.gemueseorchester.org .

The Gemüseorchester has a brilliant solution to the eternal question of what to do after a concert; ever in tune with the needs of audiences and starving musicians, their solution is to eat the instruments. When the performance is over, professional chefs in the orchestra's hire cook a particularly melodious soup from the orchestrina, and this soup is served to the audience, bringing an entirely new meaning to the term "Frankenstein Food." (What next, silent piano music?)

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.