The Edwin Smith Papyrus
Case Forty-Seven
A GAPING WOUND IN THE SHOULDER

TITLE: Instructions concerning a gaping wound in his shoulder.

FIRST EXAMINATION: If thou examinest a man having a gaping wound in his shoulder its flesh being laid back and its sides separated, while he suffers with swelling(in) his shoulder blade, thou shouldst palpate his wound, shloudst thou find its gash separated from its sides in his wound, as a roll of linen is unrolled, (and) it is painful when he raises his arm on account of it, thou shouldst draw together for him his gash with stitching.

FIRST DIAGNOSIS: Thou shouldst say concerning him: "One having a gaping wound in his shoulder, its flesh being laid back and its sides separated while he suffers with swelling in his shoulder blade. An ailment which I will treat ."

FIRST TREATMENT: Thou shouldst bind it with fresh meat the first day.

SECOND EXAMINATION AND TREATMENT: If thou findest that wound open and its stitching loose, thou shouldst draw together for him its gash with two strips of linen over that gash; thou shouldst treat it afterward with grease, honey, (and) lint every day until he recovers.

If thou findest a wound, its flesh laid back, it sides separated, in any member of a man, thou shouldst treat it according to these directions.

THIRD EXAMINATION: If however, thou findest that his flesh has developed inflammation form that wound which is in his solder, while that wound is inflamed, open, and its stitching loose, thou souldest lay thy hand upon it. Shouldst thou find inflammation issuing from the mouth of his wound at thy touch, and secretion discharging therefrom are cool like wenesh-juice.

DIAGNOSIS FOLLOWING THIRD EXAMINATION: Thou shouldst say concerning him: "One having wound in his shoulder, it being inflamed, and he continues to have fever from it. An ailment with which I will contend ."

FOURTH EXAMINATION: If then thou findest that man continuing to have fever, while that wound is inflames.

TREATMENT FOLLOWING FOURTH EXAMINATION: Thou shalt not bind it; thou shalt moor (him) at his mooring stakes, until the period of his injury passes by.

FIFTH EXAMINATION: If however, his fever abates and the inflammation in the mouth of his wound dissipates entirely.

TREATMENT FOLLOWING FIFTH EXAMINATION: Thou shouldst treat him afterward with grease, honey, (and) lint every day, until he recovers.

case forty-six
index of The Edwin Smith Papyrus
case forty-eight

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.