The Edwin Smith Papyrus
Case Forty-Five
BULGING TUMORS ON THE BREAST

TITLE: Instructions concerning bulging tumors on his breast.

EXAMINATION: If thou examinest a man having tumors on his breast, (and) thou findest that swelling have spread over his breast; if thou puttest thy hand upon his breast upon these tumors, (and) thou findest them very cool, there being no fever at all therein when thy hand touches him; they have no granulation, they from no fluid, they do not generate secretions of fluid, and they are bulging to thy hand.

DIAGNOSIS: Thou shouldst say concerning him: "One having tumors. An ailment with which I will contend."

TREATMENT: There is no TREATMENT. If thou findest tumors in any member of a man, thou shalt treat him according to these directions.

NOTE A: As for: "Bulging tumors on his breast." it means the existence of swelling on his breast, breast large, spreading and had; touching them is like touching a ball of wrappings; the comparison is to a green hemat fruit, which is hard and cool under thy hand, like touching those swellings which are on his breast.

case forty-four
index of The Edwin Smith Papyrus
case forty-six

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.