A training tool used by the X-Men as published in the comics of Marvel Comics. The Danger Room first appeared in Uncanny X-Men # 5 in 1964.

Located within the confines of the X-Men's headquarters at Charles Xavier's home in Westchester, New York, the Danger Room is a high-tech training ground for the mutant heroes. The Danger Room allows the X-Men to work on perfecting use and control of their individual powers, while training them to work as a team. Operation of the Danger Room is overseen from a booth overlooking the actual room.

The Danger Room initially appears as a featureless room, but once the highly advanced computer program is engaged, the room is transformed. In its initial incarnation, the Danger Room concealed a number of high tech devices behind the walls, ceiling, and floor that would be revealed as the program progressed. These items included such things as lasers, flame throwers, spinning sawblades, obstacles, missiles, poison gas emitters, large presses designed to crush their victims, traps, and many other potential hazards. The level of threat can be controlled based upon the experience and skill of the people being trained.

The Danger Room in its original incarnation was destroyed during a battle between the new X-Man Sprite (Kitty Pryde) and a N'Garai demon on Christmas Eve as portrayed in Uncanny X-Men #143. Trapped and alone, Kitty used the technology of the Danger Room in an attempt to kill the demon, but with no success. During the battle, the demon practically destroyed the entire training room requiring it be rebuilt. When the Danger Room was rebuilt, it was constructed with Sh'iar technology which allowed the Danger Room to take on an entirely new level of complexity. Encorporating both mechanical and holographic technology, the new Danger Room could create or recreate environments for the X-Men to train in. Want to fight the Defenders in cat suits in a Sumerian market place populated by Oompa-Loompas? No problem!

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.