The Crane is a 19th century refurbished resort located in Barbados. The resort is the oldest on the island, and one of the oldest in the Carribean. It is now a private resort and hotel, and lies on some of the most beautiful beaches in the Carribean. In fact, The Crane lies on "one of the ten best beaches in the world," according to the Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous.

The Crane aquired its name due to the small commercial docks that were installed in the 1790's. A protective coral reef around the beaches prevented larger ships from docking, and so smaller trade vessels made their way inland. A small crane was installed on the current place of the Crane Hotel, and was used to lift cargo from the vessels.

The Crane location wasn't a resort from its inception. Donald Simpson, a civil engineer, purchased Marine Villa, which was the name of the main house on Crane Beach. Simpson's vision of a hotel turned a smaller Victorian home into a large, six room hotel, complete with every luxury available at the time.

The Simpson family still owns The Crane resort, and it is one of the most prestigious resorts in the world. Private guests enjoy a full treatment of luxury, with a full guest house for themselves, which includes a large living room, two bedrooms, a master bathroom done almost completely in marble, a full kitchen, and a personal pool and jacuzzi.

Hotel residents enjoy large, spacious and beautiful rooms, complete with many of the luxuries private residents receive. However, regardless of your location, it is guaranteed that from your room you will have a view of the magnificent pink sand beaches that lie below. It is truly a site to behold.

For more information and some great pictures, visit www.thecrane.com.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.