A conservative newspaper written and produced by students at Cornell University in Ithaca, New York. Founded in 1984 as a response to a historically liberal campus, the publication has a notorious history of being targeted for numerous protests, some of them involving the liberal use of fruity projectiles. Its most visible alumna and first editor-in-chief, Ann Coulter, has gone on to pen numerous op-ed pieces and has served as a conservative political consultant for the likes of Fox News. Although it is the longest standing, and only, conservative newspaper on campus, it is a relative neophyte among its more long-standing peers in the college community. This is evidenced by the sometimes scattered content and crude writing styles of its often-shifting writing staff. As little brother to the National Review, from which it derives its name, the newspaper claims to promote a parallel agenda on the university level. It also includes news blurbs from the magazine itself on a regular basis.

            The overall purpose paper itself is highly contested, though some view it as humorously reactionary, intended to provoke political, cultural, and racial backlash, rather than to promote a specific political ideology. In 2001, members of the Cornell Review angered students and the administration when they called for the shutdown of Ujamaa: an African-American cultural living center on the Cornell Campus. Citing administrative support for what staffers viewed as de facto segregation, they proceeded to scrawl “Down with Ujamaa” in chalk directly outside the Ujamaa complex. Staffers were later forced to remove the writing, as many viewed it as a direct threat to the residents themselves. During the same academic year, a returning almuna, Ann Coulter, arrived on campus to deliver a speech expressing her support for the Confederate flag. She was given little time for explication when she was quickly escorted off the stage by a bevy of delicious Florida oranges.

            Many of the attitudes of Review staffers have been shaped by a campus constantly in struggle with itself. Cornell University, a culturally diverse Ivy League school, has witnessed several milestones in its long-standing history of campus conflict. In 1969, African American students engineered a Takeover Of Willard Straight Hall in order to express their distress over cultural malfeasance on the part of the administration. This was later followed up by the famous Day Hall Takeover by a group of Latino students in 1993, who called for cultural representation, along with a living center of their own. Though the Review has not been in existence long enough to witness some of these events, it has seemingly commented on all of them. Its primarily white writing staff has been lampooned by the liberal campus and derided by a variety of cultural and political groups, including African-American, Latino, and Asian-American communities. Despite its questionable aims, the Review sparks a great amount of discussion around campus, and few doubt that it is highly-read among Cornell’s students.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.