The Chaser is an Australian satirical group that started in 1999 as a newspaper "produced out of a spare bedroom", and has since moved on to radio and TV, as well as online, notably with www.silly2000.com, a shot at the Sydney Olympics. Their most notable TV works have been CNNNN (Chaser Nonstop News Network), The Chaser Decides (before an Australian election) and, of late, The Chaser's War On Everything. Six members currently appear on the TV show - Craig Reucassel, Chris Taylor, Chas Licciardello, Charles Firth, Andrew Hansen and Julian Morrow.

I don't like them.

They were OK at the start, like when they were making CNNNN, but weekly TV for 27 weeks in 2006 seems to have turned them pretty bad. Some of their "satirical" stunts have included walking into several retailers with stockings on their head, walking down the street in broad daylight in KKK clothing, and selling knives at a Western Bulldogs AFL game. This week, one of them even posed as the Dalai Lama, since His Holiness is in Australia this week.

I'm waiting for Everything's War on The Chaser. Seriously. (They're that bad that they don't deserve "person" status in this writeup.)

"The Chaser" is the 31st episode of The Twilight Zone, and was first broadcast in May of 1960. It was based on a short story written by John Collier, and starred George Grizzard as besotted lover Roger Shackleforth, Patricia Barry as his love object Leila, and character actor John McIntire as the mysterious Professor A. Daemon.

Roger is in love with Leila, an attractive and seemingly well-heeled woman who is trying to politely shake him off. Roger hears a rumor that there is a man who can solve his problems: a mysterious professor who sells love potions. When he visits the professor, he gets what he wants, but only after several broad warnings that he might not like what he finds. He takes the love potion, for the price of one dollar, and gets an immediate reaction, as the once cold Leila begins to dote on him. Six months later, he feels smothered as Leila slavishly attends to his every wish, and tries to find a way to undo her interest in him. But what has been done can not always be undone, as we find out in the conclusion.

This episode covers some of the same ground as we saw in "A Nice Place to Visit", that getting is not always as much fun as wanting. But this episode does it with a much lighter touch. Quite apart from the story, which is fairly obvious, this episode has great comedic timing and chemistry. It is one of the best comic episodes of the Twilight Zone I have viewed so far, and a welcome break from some of the more serious episodes.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.