A group of villains published by Marvel Comics
. The Brotherhood of Evil
Mutants first appeared in Uncanny X-Men #4
The Brotherhood of Evil Mutants was first organized by the mutant Magneto
to help in his battle to control the world. Having already clashed with the group
of mutants fighting for Charles Xavier's cause, Magneto gathered his own group of
mutants to further his cause. The original group of mutants included
- Mastermind,a mutant with the ability to produce completely believable illusions
- The Toad, a mutant with incredible leaping ability
- The Blob, a mutant with incredible strength and the ability to be unmovable
- Unus the Untouchable, a mutant with the ability to project an invisible forcefield
- The Scarlet Witch, a mutant with the ability to affect probability with her mutant hex, and
- Quicksilver, a mutant with the ability to move at super-speed.
Unbeknownst to any of the members of this band was that The Scarlet Witch and
Quicksilver were the children of Magneto. It would be years before they made
The Brotherhood of Evil Mutants clashed on many occassions with Xavier's X-Men.
Eventually the group disbanded after Magneto and the Toad were changed into
infants by Alpha the Ultimate Mutant.
Years later, the Brotherhood reemerged with a new leader and new members. The
new group of mutants was led by the shapechanger
Mystique. This group attacked
Senator Kelly, a member of Congress who proposed mutant registration. The
group was opposed again by Xavier's X-Men though this group had changed members
as well. The new Brotherhood was made up of:
- Mystique, a mutant with the ability to change shape into any person
- Destiny, a mutant with the ability to see the future
- Pyro, a mutant with the ability to shape and control fire
- Avalanche, a mutant with the ability to create localized earthquakes, and
- The Blob, the only original member of the first Brotherhood.
For a time the group also included a mutant named Rogue, a young woman who possessed
the ability to absorb the memories and abilities of those she touched. She and the
rest of the Brotherhood attacked the Avengers and nearly defeated them. Eventually,
Rogue left the Brotherhood and sought help for her uncontrolled power with
Charles Xavier, the leader of the X-Men. Rogue has since become a member in good
standing of the X-Men.
The Brotherhood of Evil Mutants was eventually captured by the United States
government. The group was pardoned for the past crimes and renamed the Freedom Force.
They acted as group of super-powered enforcers for the U.S. government.
Later still, another group of mutants took up the mantle of the Brotherhood. This
group was led by original member the Toad and consisted of:
- The Blob
- Sauron, the reptile man with wings, sharp claws, and hypnotic gaze
- Phantazia, a mutant with the ability to disrupt energy fields, and
This group went through some changes as well, losing the Toad as leader
and gaining the Morlock Masque. They also gained another Morlock named
Thornn who was the sister of former X-Force member Feral. She was cat-like
in nature and had claws and fangs.
The last group who took the name of the Brotherhood dropped the term "Evil" from
their name. They were a group of mutants who had been trained by Charles Xavier while
hiding from Cerebro, Xavier's computer gone mad. The group consisted of:
- The Blob
- The Toad
- Changeling, a mutant with the ability to mimic the abilities of other mutants, and
- Post, a mutant with healing ability and armed with advanced weaponry.