Title of a novel by Iain Banks. The central character is involved in a severe car crash, and a coma results. The narrative follows the lucid ``dreams'' of the main character, interspersed with flashbacks. The dreams take the character to a world spanned by a massive bridge (a classic Really Big Thing), large enough for cities to be built inside its structure, and for the ends to be invisible and unknown in the distance. Through adventure and discovery, the character travels through the dreamscape, eventually making a decision whether to wake or not.

A great song by Eddie from Ohio about conformity, in the grand tradition of Smells Like Teen Spirit. No, no, it's not loud and raucous; it's sung in the first person, with a trace of irony. It recalls your mother's third-favorite saying, right behind You'll Poke Your Eye Out and Don't Pick Your Nose.

There's an interesting musical pun in the middle of the song: the bridge is an extended drum solo and jam by Eddie "from Ohio" Harkness. Have you seen the bridge? I'm just tryin' to find the bridge...


Lyrics:

I went and jumped off a bridge last night.
I don't know why,
someone just told me to.
Didn't even really put up much of a fight.
Now there's seaweed in my...
seaweed between my toes.

Now that I think about it, it was a pretty good dive.
Pretty good form!
Not much splash...
Now that I think about it, it was a pretty short ride.
Sunk like a cannonball,
I think I gained some weight.

CHORUS:
I jumped off a bridge,
because someone told me to.
Just goes to show, don't let anyone tell you
what to think or say or do.
Just goes to show, don't let anyone tell you
what to think or say or do.

There were tires and wires and bicycle frames...
Not many trout--
fish don't live down there.
I got to thinkin', "I must be insane...
I shouldn't have listened, this
isn't as fun as it sounds."

(Drum solo!)

So I think that my lesson's been learned:
Gotta be your own man, be
just like James Dean.
Chalk it up to an experience earned.
What an adventure!
I think I broke my neck!

CHORUS X 2

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.