"That can happen."

There is a man at the end of the diner. He sits by himself and doesn't give his name, but sometimes people approach him. They seek him out because they've heard he can make things happen. Impossible things, illegal things-- for a price. And when they come, the man will ask what they want, then open his notebook and give them a seemingly random task. You want to solve your family's money problems? Get an agoraphobic to leave their house. You want to cure your mother's depression? Make people cry. You want to cure your husband's Alzheimer's? Blow up a coffeeshop with a bomb. Flowers for your girlfriend? Help old ladies walk across the street. Wanna feel beautiful? Rob some banks. Date a supermodel? Protect a little girl. Cure your son's cancer? Murder a child.

And so on.

The rules are: you cannot change the terms of the deal once it's agreed, (though you can cancel it any time), and you must sit in the diner and tell the man, in detail, about your experiences completing the task.

This is the premise of The Booth at the End.

What is it?

The Booth at the End is a psychological thriller, tv/web series created by Christopher Kubasik and the digital production company, Vuguru. Initially released as a series of webisodes, the series as it exists today premiered first on the Canadian TV network, City, then later was picked up by the American web broadcaster Hulu. There are two seasons, both of which are comprised of five, twenty-minute long episodes.

As mentioned, the premise is that people come to the Man at the booth to ask for things, and enter into a Faustian pact wherein they must complete a task of his choosing. Or rather, a task of his notebook's choosing. The man makes it very clear that he has no control over what the tasks are, nor does he know how completing the tasks connects to the participants getting what they want. Furthermore, he emphasizes repeatedly that his tasks are not the only way for the participants to accomplish their goals. It is entirely possible that someone's illness will be cured or their money situation will be rectified the normal way, but his deals a guaranteed result.

One of the most notable things about the series is that it takes place entirely within the diner. At no point does the Man ever leave the booth, nor do we follow any of the characters as they complete their tasks. The story is told entirely through dialogue as characters tell the man what they're up to.

And it is fucking phenomenal. It is pure storytelling, and despite the lack of varied sets, it manages to convey an enormous amount of suspense as the audience (and the Man) see the stories of each of the participants connecting in unforeseen ways.

The show is currently available on Amazon Prime.


"You're a monster."
"It would be more accurate to say that I feed them."

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.