16

ΚΕΦΑΛΗ     ΙΣ

THE STAG-BEETLE


Death implies change and individuality if thou be
   THAT which hath no person, which is beyond the
   changing, even beyond changelessness, what hast
   thou to do with death?
The bird of individuality is ecstasy; so also is its death.
In love the individuality is slain; who loves not love?
Love death therefore, and long eagerly for it.
Die Daily.


<------------------------------------------------------------------->

COMMENTARY (ΙΣ)

          This seems a comment on the previous chapter; the Stag-Beetle is a reference the Kheph-ra, the Egyptian God of Midnight, who bears the Sun through the Underworld; but it is called the Stag-Beetle to emphasise his horns. Horns are the universal hieroglyph of energy, particularly of Phallic energy.
          The 16th key of the Tarot is "The Blasted Tower". In this chapter death is regarded as a form of marriage. Modern Greek peasants, in many cases, cling to Pagan belief, and suppose that in death they are united to the Deity which they have cultivated during life. This is "a consummation devoutly to be wished" (Shakespeare).
          In the last paragraph the Master urges his pupils to practise Samadhi every day.

Back | Return | Next


<------------------------------------------------>

Original text by Aleister Crowley
Commentary by Karl Germer
I need your help! This stuff is very cryptic, feel free to provide your own commentary.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.