A landmark in the Atlanta Cobb County area, The Big Chicken is simply a large mechanical chicken with moving eyes and beak.

It was built in 1963 by S.R. "Tubby" Davis, and designed by Hubert L. Puckett. It was constructed as an advertisement for a restaurant that sat on U.S. 41 (Johnny Reb's Chick, Chuck and Shake). The Big Chicken is 56 feet high, and was designed to withstand wind speeds in excess of 100 MPH. At the time of its construction, it was one of the largest structures in the Marietta area. It was also constructed with eyes and a beak that moved. While the Chicken itself was sturdy, excessive vibration from the operation of the beak and eyes caused nearby windows to shatter.

Davis sold the building to his brother in 1966, who also happened to own an early Kentucky Fried Chicken franchise. It was bound to happen that KFC would lease the restaurant, and sure enough, they did in 1974.

In 1993, high winds ripped through the area, and tore the sheet metal off the chicken. KFC was hesitant to repair the chicken, but the public voiced their opinion, and KFC gave in. They also fixed the eyes and beak.

From the time of its completion to the present day, driving directions in the area almost always involve The Big Chicken.

To be honest, I have no idea why I did this writeup. I moved to the area about 6 months ago, and I first saw the chicken about 3 months ago. I was in the car with a few co-workers, and someone had said "there's The Big Chicken." Having lived in the area for 3 months, I had heard a lot about it, but I never saw it. My first comment upon seeing it for the first time:

"That's supposed to be a fucking chicken?"

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.