The autobiography of Oscar Zeta Acosta.

The Autobiography, unlike Revolt of the Cockroach People Revolt of the Cockroach People, Acosta's other book, doesn't deal too much with politics, but tells the life of Acosta. It mirrors Hunter S. Thompson's, oddly enough, with a country upbringing, high schoolers with trunk fulls of beer on the way to the whore-house every weekend, and the slow, cruel destruction of one person's American Dream. Like Revolt of the Cockroach People, Acosta also tracks his on-going quest to figure out just who the hell he is.

If you're in for a kind of outsiders view of those whacky, drugged out fun-lovin' 60s people, Acosta delivers. The flash backs to his childhood, unfortunately, seem a little gratuitous -- however, it is an autobiography -- and the interweaving "in the present" chapters are more interesting. That said, the childhood chapters are interesting, and the quality of Acosta's utter frankness about his weaknesses and how he coped with typical teen-age problems is hard to find elsewhere.

Hunter S. Thompson appears in this novel much more than in Revolt, and as "Karl King" again. The two meet up when Acosta visits "King" in Aspen, first mutually ribbing him in a bar, and then hiding with him at Woody Creek from the sheriff.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.