The Animals were one of the best of the British Invasion after The Beatles hit America in 1964. The band consisted of:
Eric Burdon, vocals b. May 11, 1941, Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear, England

Alan Price, piano and organ b. April 19, 1942, Fatfield, Durham, England

Hilton Valentine, guitar b. May 21, 1943, North Shields, Tyne and Wear, England

Chas Chandler (byname of Bryan Chandler), bass b. December 18, 1938, Heaton, Tyne and Wear, England d. July 17, 1996

John Steel, drums b. February 4, 1941, Gateshead, Durham, England

Their rendition of The House of the Rising Son was an instant hit after it was released in 1964, and is probably the version of that oft covered traditional you're hearing in your head right now. Later hits include "I'm Crying," "We Gotta Get Out of This Place," and "It's My Life".

They broke up in 1966 with Burdon going on to a successful solo career. Chas Chandler was Jimi Hendrix's manager.

The Animals were a blues/rock band from the far North of England (Newcastle upon Tyne). Like Van Morrison's Them, they sound mean and direct, quite a difference from the relaxed style of London-based contemporaries such as the Yardbirds, Rolling Stones, or Kinks.

Their breakthrough single, House of the rising sun (1965), is also their best known song, now an evergreen played by every beginning guitarist. Their best work dates from 1966, when they were pioneering rock.

The band collapsed from gross mismanagement. To quote Chas Chandler:

"We were thrashing around the world, doing more gigs than anybody at the time, and every time you went to the bank: oooh ... nothing there, you know? It just seemed futile in the end, really.. [...] I mean, we split up in September 1966, and I still think we've done over 200 concerts that year."

Let me put it this way:
when Paul McCartney sings I'm down, he's having fun;
when Mick Jagger sings Heart of stone, he's being naughty;
when Ray Davies sings You really got me, he's trying to make money;
when Eric Burdon sings Don't bring me down, he's in actual pain.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.