Everyone thought King Koopa had left the Mushroom Kingdom, but then his Doom Ship attacked - King Koopa was back!

After The Super Mario Bros. Super Show ended production of new episodes in 1990 Mario and friends jumped into the realm of Saturday morning cartoons on NBC's The Adventures of Super Mario Bros. 3, in which the brothers and their friends (and enemies) went on wild new adventures based on the elements from Nintendo's Super Mario Brothers 3 video game. The program ran from 1990-1991, beginning as a half-hour standalone series and then later was used to sandwich episodes of Captain N: The Game Master to form a seamless one hour block of game-based programming.

The general plot picks up soon after the first series ended, with King Koopa having been exiled from the Mushroom Kingdom. However, just as Mario and his friends are about to celebrate the evil turtle king returns and brings along his seven Koopalings, children of a somewhat ambiguous origin. Fortunately for Mario and Luigi the power-ups from Super Mario Brothers 3 are scattered about, allowing them to sprout a raccoon tail to fly or a frog suit to swim. The show even occassionally brought in famous celebrities to lend their voices to the show, such as one episode which revolved around Milli Vanilli (of course, after the lipsync scandal their original songs were removed from the reruns).

Twenty-six episodes of the series were produced to create thirteen half-hour blocks of programming. In Fall 1991 the series became Super Mario World to capitalize on the release of Nintendo's new Super Nintendo Entertainment System and Mario game. Reruns of the series floated around syndicated television for a while and even showed up in 1999 on the PAX Network. Selected episodes of the series were also released on video in the early 1990s as well.

Episode Guide

  • Sneaky, Lying, Cheating, Giant Ninja Koopas
  • Reptiles in the Rose Garden
  • Mind You Mummy, Mario
  • The Beauty of Kootie
  • Dadzilla
  • Tag Team Trouble
  • Princess Toadstool for President
  • Never Koop a Koopa
  • Reign Storm
  • Toddler Terrors of Time Travel
  • Oh, Brother!
  • Misadventure of Mighty Plumber
  • A Toadally Magical Adventure
  • Misadventures in Babysitting
  • Do The Koopa
  • Kootie Pie Rocks
  • Mush-Rumors
  • The Ugly Mermaid
  • Up, Up, and a Koopa
  • Seven Continents for Seven Koopas
  • Crimes R Us
  • Life's Ruff
  • True Colors
  • Recycled Koopa
  • The Venice Menace
  • Super Koopa


References:
Memories of the show
http://www.fortunecity.com/skyscraper/babbage/317/world/smb3.html

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.