The 27 club is asuperstition involving the death of intensely talented music celebrities who died at age 27. The 27 club consists of music legends Janis Joplin, Jimi Hendrix, Jim Morrison, Kurt Cobain, and Brad Nowell. Each of these performers were prodigies in their musical genre, Joplin for Blues, Hendrix for Classic Rock, Morrison for Acid Rock, Cobain for Grunge, and Nowell for Raggae/Ska.They all met untimely deaths and left the music world wondering what might have been.

I guess the moral is, "If you're worth your salt, you'll never see 28."

Or perhaps, the moral is, "Don't do heroin or date Courtney Love."

Let's not forget that in addition to the list by StopTheViolins, Robert Johnson died a mysterious death at the age of 27. He was one of the most influential and innovative guitarists back in the day, and is often referred to as the "king of the delta blues."

This list also includes one of the most influential rock drummers of all time: Keith Moon of The Who. He influenced many young drummers, including his friend John Bonham of Led Zeppelin, who died at the age of 31. Bonham would later quip, "I'm the greatest Keith Moon type drummer in the world!" They were both known for their on-stage antics, and their hard-hitting drum solos as well as their collections of fine cars. They helped to define a hard rock sound that many have tried to reproduce.

Have you ever wondered why so many rock stars have died at the age of 27? The most famous musicians of this 27 Club are Jimi Hendrix (27.11.1942 - 18.9.1970), Janis Joplin (19.1.1943 - 4.10.1970), Jim Morrison (8.12.1943 - 3.7.1971) and Kurt Cobain (20.2.1967 - 8.4.1994). Could this be just a coincidence, a cruel misfortune, that four of the world's most idolized rock stars all die at the same age?

You could think that Kurt Cobain, having lived his life so long after Jim, Janis and Jimi, wanted to become a legend, killing himself at the age of 27. Maybe he wanted to join the 27 club because all others mentioned have become idols of worship. Well, I don't believe in this myself. (I don't believe in the murder theory either!!) I really don't want to get into that right now, so back to the other three.

All of them died, if not directly, because of drugs. Joplin took an overdose of heroin, Morrison's cause of death was heart failure which was caused by a large dose of athesma medicine and alcohol. Hendrix died from choking on his own vomit after passing out during barbiturate intoxication. In those days, drugs were a natural part in just about every musician's life, so that really doesn't explain why this threesome died so early in life.

Maybe it was a huge conspiracy, by the record companies who decided that they'd get a lot more money if they make these artists into a legend that will live forever, or maybe... OK, enough X-Files bullshit.

What we have in the end, is that I think that it was just a coincidence. You can make your own opinions and theories, but who can tell for sure? Think about it, if you have nothing better to do.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.