A pool hall on Shattuck Ave in Berkeley. Decorated with an underwater theme, with mermaids and nets, this comfortable bar behind Pegasus Books is one of my favorites. A fine wooden bar, large booths in a sunken room, and a pleasant patio are fine attractions if you're just there to sit. The bartenders are open to mixing different drinks, but they have many good local craftbrews on tap. (And why not drink beer at a pool hall?) A jukebox with an incredible selection of music, but a high price, sets whatever mood you like. Twenty-some pool tables in a huge backroom ajoin the bar.

2367 Shattuck Avenue (between Durant and Channing)

In Greek mythology, Thalassa was the personification of the sea. She was the offspring of Aether and Hemera. By Pontus, Thalassa gave birth to nine sea-demons, the Telchines, who had the heads of dogs and flippers for hands (But it wasn't that bad, they could shape-shift).

Thalassa is sometimes sed to have mothered Aphrodite by Zeus.


Thalassa is also the name of the irregularly shaped second moon of Neptune, discovered by Voyager 2 in 1989.

Equatorial radius .............. 40 km
Diameter ....................... 80 km
Mean distance from Neptune ..... 50,000 km
Orbital period ................. 0.311485 days
Mean orbital velocity .......... 11.68 km/sec
Orbital inclination ............ 0.21 degrees
Orbital eccentricity ........... 0.0002
Visual geometric albedo ........ 0.06
Visual magnitude from earth .... 23.8

Mass, mean density, and rotational period are unknown.

The moons of Neptune are: Naiad, Thalassa, Despina, Galatea, Larissa, Proteus, Triton, and Nereid.

Thalassa is also the watery planet on which Arthur C. Clarke's The Songs of Distant Earth is based. The planet is a vast ocean with only three small islands on which settlers have been seeded by ships sent out by a doomed Earth. The three islands have a silly rivalry, nothing serious. It sort of resembles that of Norway and Sweden, or the United States and Canada, in that they crack jokes about each other and pretend to hate each other but are essentially friends.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.