{ Moons of Saturn }
Discovered by            B. Smith 
Date of Discovery        1981
Distance from Saturn     294,660 km
Radius                   15 × 12.5 × 7.5 km
Mass                     ???
Orbital Eccentricity     0.00000
Orbital Inclination      1.86°
Orbital Period           1.8878 days
Rotational Period        ???
Density (gm/cm3)         ??? 

Telesto shares its orbit with Tethys and Calypso, leading Tethys by 60°, which is the leading Lagrange point. Objects that share an orbit at these points are called Trojans. It looks like an unremarkable little spheroid. Telesto and Calypso were discovered by telescopic observations here on Earth.

Sources:
NASA.gov
space.com

Τελεστω (Ancient Greek for success)

Telesto of the Cool Springs

In Greek mythology, Telesto was the nymph of cool springs. She was one of the Okeanids, the numerous children of Oceanus and Tethys, and the personification of success. She is listed in the Theogony of Hesiod, where she is described as robed in saffron, but apart from that, little is known about her.

Telesto of the Past

Telesto seems to be a name given infrequently to rather obscure things. It is the name of an early trilobite of the order Redlichiida, cambropallas telesto, which lived around the Mediterranean during the Cambrian age. The trilobite is often found in Morocco, but is apparently also the most frequently faked or reconstructed ancient animal there. So be warned.

Telesto of the Sea

The nymph also gave her name to an order of coralpolyp called telestacea. The snowflake coral, carijoa riisei, is a beautiful white soft octocoral which grows rapidly in strong currents. It looks a bit like the fluff of dandelion seeds. Orange, telesto fruticulosa, and rigid red telesto, stereotelesto corallina, look the same, except their polyp snowflakes are, well - orange and red. Compounds derived from the snowflake coral are used in some drugs against osteoporosis.

Telesto of the Universe

Finally, Telesto is the thirteenth moon of Saturn. Together with Calypso it forms a notorious gang (well...) called the Tethys Trojans because they follow the same orbit as the larger moon, Tethys. Telesto is about 60 degrees ahead of it while Calypso trails behind them both.

At 34 by 28 by 26 kilometers, Telesto is one of the smallest natural satelites in the solar system (although Calypso is even tinier). It has an irregular shape, as the statistics also show. On photographs taken by Voyager, the moon looks like a fuzzy white pearl. Back to the ocean, Telesto?

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.