Tecumseh was a brilliant Shawnee nation warrior. He was a skilled orator and was able to rally fighting native tribes into an alliance called the Algonkian Indian Confederacy. Many examples attest to his political savvy; for example, Tecumseh's brother Tenskwautawa used foreknowledge of the eclipse of June 16, 1806 as proof that he was a prophet, which was effective at providing support for Tecumseh. Tecumseh's support of Sir Isaac Brock was integral to the defense of Canada in the War of 1812. Killed in 1813 at the battle of Moraviantown.

There is an outdoor drama about Tecumseh's life that is performed nightly during the summer near Chillicothe, Ohio.

Dates for the 2000 season are June 9-September 2.

If you're ever in the area, I strongly recommend checking it out.

More information can be found at http://www.tecumsehdrama.com/

Tecumseh (or more completely Tecumseh Products Company) is also the name of an international company which manufactures hermetic compressors for air conditioning and refrigeration applications, gasoline engines and power train components for lawn and garden applications as well as general purpose pumps. I have installed a Tecumseh compressor unit during the fabrication of a CPU supercooler, and I noted a picture of an American Indian had been stamped into the upper shell.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.