Tazorac is a brand name of the drug tazerotene, a topical prescription retinoid manufactured by Allergan for the treatment of acne and psoriasis. It is manufactured in both gel and cream forms in 0.05% and 0.1% concentrations. Tazorac is distributed in 30 and 60 gram aluminum toothpaste-like tubes.

Patients prescribed Tazorac are instructed to apply a pea-sized amount to their face or other affected area once daily, usually before going to bed. Users are cautioned that tazarotene can cause skin to become very sensitive to the sun's UV rays, and are advised to wear a sunscreen at all times.

Some of the most commonly reported side effects of Tazorac are desquamation, pruritus, dermatitis, stinging sensation, face pain, and hypertriglyceridemia. Tazorac (and its relatives, most notoriously Accutane) are strongly contraindicated for pregnant women as there is a risk of severe birth defects.

Even as a happy user of Tazorac for my moderate acne, I am forced to admit that skin dryness and flakiness are a part of the package. I don't go anywhere without my Cetaphil moisturizer. However, the stuff is remarkably effective. After a brief initial increase in zit count around week 2 of treatment, my skin completely cleared up and has remained problem-free.

Technical Information Source: October 2001 full prescribing information for physicians
http://www.tazorac.com/PDFs/Tazorac_Cream_Full_PI.pdf

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.