Taumata is the more commonly used (abbreviated) form of one of the longest placenames in the world, the Maori placename Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateapokaiwhenuakitanatahu ("The hilltop where Tamatea, who sailed around the country, played the noseflute for his beloved").

Taumata is a hill, near Hawke's Bay on New Zealand's North Island.


Originally posted using the long form as node title. Resubmitted using the abbreviated form of the name as node title (dannye nuked the first one, saying "long node titles really screw up the softlinks").

Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateapokaiwhenuakitanatahu:

The place where Tamatea, the man with the big knees, who slid, climbed and swallowed mountains, known as 'landeater,' played his flute to his loved one.

— definition of place name, see cited references

A locale in New Zealand, more particularly a hill in Southern Hawkes Bay on the east coast of the North Island of New Zealand. The hill is about 1,000 feet in height. A sign atop this hill gives the place name and an explanation.

The locals call it "Taumata," and swear that the name was not enhanced by adding "the man with the big knees," merely for the purposes of beating the Welsh in the competition for the longest place name: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwyll-llantysiliogogogoch.

For fun, plug it into AT&T Labs' Text To Speech Generator at http://public.research.att.com/~ttsweb/tts/demo.php.

In10se brought it to my attention that there is, technically, indeed a place name that's longer in his writeup Longest Names. the protocol name for Bangkok, Thailand, when spoken by a Thai who chooses to use the complete name, is the longest place name on earth. It isn't in common use, however.

SOURCES:

"Longest Place Name," by Jen Longshaw, The Kiwi Herald http://www.kiwiherald.com/LongestPlaceName.html (Accessed 8/22/07)

Web of Linguistica Fun http://www.facstaff.bucknell.edu/rbeard/name.html (Accessed 8/22/07)

http://digg.com/design/Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateapokaiwhenuakitanatahu_Hill_pic (Accessed 8/22/07)

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.