Tafelmusik Baroque Orchestra was founded in 1979 and quickly gained international recognition as a leading period performance ensemble. Led by violinist Jeanne Lamon, Tafelmusik recorded their first CD in 1982 and now have a discography of over 50 titles, many of them award-winners. The orchestra members are specialists in historically accurate performance on period instruments, lending the orchestra a rich authentic sound. In 1981 the Tafelmusik Chamber Choir was formed to complement the orchestra; they specialize in baroque performance practice and vocal technique. Happily, Tafelmusik makes its home in my city, Toronto, where they perform about 50 concerts a year; they also tour extensively around the world.

Tafelmusik's Toronto home is at Trinity-St. Paul's United Church on Bloor St., where I have seen them perform several times. On those hard pews in that sadly drywalled and whitewashed chapel I have had some transcendant moments, the most profound when the choir broke into a rousing Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring, the singers radiating joyful energy as they rocked back and forth on the balls of their feet, singing that gorgeous tune by Bach.

www.tafelmusik.org

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.