aka "Tactom", "Tomahawk Block IV"

The most recent proposed version of the venerable Tomahawk Cruise Missile. Originally slated to enter service with several branches of U.S. and UK Armed Forces in 2003, the project has been fast-tracked as a result of the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks.

Unlike previous incarnations of the Tomahawk the Tactom will be capable of being retargeted while in flight, directing the missile to any GPS location. The missile will also be capable of loitering for hours near a target before striking and relaying battle damage assessment data via an onboard video camera. In addition targeting may now be conducted by forward commanders allowing a more rapid response to emergent targets.

Despite these extended capabilities, the Tactom will cost only $575,000US per missile, less than half as much as previous models which range from $1.1 - 1.4 Million US. This cost savings comes from the use of modular components as well as significant streamlining of the manufacturing process.

The Tomahawk has a range of 860 nautical miles/1609 km, and a cruising speed of 550mph/880km/h, it is capable of carrying a 1,000 pound warhead or conventional submunitions dispenser with combined effect bomblets.

Manufacturing is conducted by Raytheon at its Missile Systems unit in Tucson, Arizona.

"Tomahawk" and "Tactical Tomahawk" are Registered Trademarks of the U.S. Government

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.