Table of Organization and Equipment. A term used to describe the structure of military units; 'the TOE' is short for the current 'picture' of the unit as includes assigned gear, vehicles, weapons, command structure, supply, and personnel slots. Typically, the TOE refers to job slots, not particular people; thus phrases like 'the TOE calls for a full-bird Colonel in that job.'

Toe is a measurement of the alignment of two wheels on the same axle (A literal axle between them is not necessary.) You have toe-in when the fronts are closer together, and toe-out when the rears are closer together. Observe the following diagram:

Toe Diagram

                     Front
   _                                       _
,-' \  <---------------X--------------->  / `-.
\    \                                   /    /
 \    \          X > Y = Toe Out        /    /
  \    \                               /    /
   \    \  <-----------Y----------->  /    /
    \    \                           /    /
     \,-'                             `-./


      _              Front              _
     / `-.                           _-' \
    /    /  <----------X---------->  \    \
   /    /                             \    \
  /    /          X < Y = Toe In       \    \
 /    /                                 \    \
/    /  <--------------Y-------------->  \    \
 `-./                                     \,-'

Note: The examples shown here are much farther than any sane person would use for a toe setting for almost any purpose. They are designed for optimal appearance in ASCII art.

At nominal driving speeds, toe-in will produce understeer while cornering, since the inside tire will be pointing out of the turn, and toe-out will do the opposite. However, when you are driving hard, toe-in can actually increase oversteer, because your outside wheel is most heavily loaded, and the inside tire does not have as much traction. This tendency can be reduced by the use of a sway bar, which minimizes body roll, making the car dramatically more consistent.

Toe should be the last alignment setting you adjust, because both camber and caster will alter toe. Camber will not alter toe in a car with zero caster, but that is extremely rare.

Some cars also allow you to adjust the rear toe. Rear toe in makes the car more stable, and rear toe out makes the car turn more easily.

In general, you want no rear toe (most cars don't let you adjust it easily anyway) and only a little bit of front toe-in, approximately half a degree to one degree. Toe is usually changed by rotating the tie rod which connects from the steering rack or linkage to the wheel carrier or knuckle. Sometimes it is necessary to disconnect the tie rod end before adjustment can be made, but this is rare.

Toe (?), n. [OE. too, taa, AS. ta; akin to D. teen, G. zehe, OHG. z�xc7;ha, Icel. ta, Sw. t�x86;, Dan. taa; of uncertain origin. 60.]

1. Anat.

One of the terminal members, or digits, of the foot of a man or an animal.

"Each one, tripping on his toe."

Shak.

2. Zool.

The fore part of the hoof or foot of an animal.

3.

Anything, or any part, corresponding to the toe of the foot; as, the toe of a boot; the toe of a skate.

4. Mach. (a)

The journal, or pivot, at the lower end of a revolving shaft or spindle, which rests in a step.

(b)

A lateral projection at one end, or between the ends, of a piece, as a rod or bolt, by means of which it is moved.

(c)

A projection from the periphery of a revolving piece, acting as a cam to lift another piece.

Toe biter Zool., a tadpole; a polliwig. -- Toe drop Med., a morbid condition of the foot in which the toe is depressed and the heel elevated, as in talipes equinus. See Talipes.

 

© Webster 1913.


Toe, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Toed (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Toeing.]

To touch or reach with the toes; to come fully up to; as, to toe the mark.

 

© Webster 1913.


Toe, v. i.

To hold or carry the toes (in a certain way).

To toe in, to stand or carry the feet in such a way that the toes of either foot incline toward the other. -- To toe out, to have the toes of each foot, in standing or walking, incline from the other foot. <-- (Automobiles) toe in, to align the front wheels so that they point slightly toward each other. -->

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.