A super-hero published by DC Comics. The Whip first appeared in The Flash #1 in January 1940.

The Whip's history begins in the 1800's when poor Mexican workers were being mistreated by the wealthy landowners in the Southwest. Rising up to defend the maltreated was El Castigo (or "The Whip" in English), who defeated the rancheros and brought peace to the people of the area. The people never knew that the Whip was in fact Don Fernando Suarez, one of the Mexican upperclass who used his costumed identity to bring the people justice.

One hundred years later, the town of Seguro was in the same trouble as years before. The townspeople were being terrorized by the rich landowners and one of the men, oddly enough named Carlos, was to be hanged for a crime he didn't commit. The people of the town despaired for a champion, but little did they know one was about to come their way.

Their hero came in the form of Rodney Gaynor, later to be renamed Rodrigo to make his origin more plausible. Gaynor was a millionaire playboy who had decided that riding his polo pony on the East Coast was boring, so he packed up his car and his obligatory Asian man-servant Wing and headed west. (Note: Wing should not be confused with Wing (the Oriental sidekick of the Crimson Avenger) or Stuff, the Chinatown Kid (the sidekick of the Vigilante) or Kato (the sidekick of the Green Hornet) or Hop Sing (the cook on Bonanza)). The two came to Seguro and soon met Marissa Dillon, the daughter of the publisher of that hotbed of journalism, the Seguro Sentinal. Learning of Carlos' plight and the history of El Castigo, Gaynor decided that he would right the wrongs done to these people by dressing up in a costume (complete with matador jacket) and fight for the people as the Whip, Zorro with the serial numbers filed off.

The Whip fought in the Southwest for a few years and eventually moved back to New York City. He was a member of the All-Star Squadron though only in group shots.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.