Awwwwwwww yeaaaah. It's that time of year again. The time when we separate the chaff from the wheat. The weak from the strong. The tin...from the IRON.
Presenting, the eighth annual edition of...
THE IRON NODER CHALLENGE
Many hundreds have tried. Mere tens have succeeded. Do you think you have what it takes to enter the hallowed HALL OF THE IRON?
Actually, when you think about it, it's not even that hard. All you have to do is...
Write 30 things worth reading in 30 days.
The mines are ferrous, dark, and deep. You have nothing but your wits and your keyboard to guide you, but should you survive the journey you will earn...
The pursuit of ferrousness is glorious unto itself, but our bumptious bevy of ironnoders demands that we sweeten the deal.
- WET PAPER NAPKIN NODERS who sign up for the quest but never get around to writing a writeup will still receive a 10 GP bonus for (arguably) good intentions.
- TIN NODERS who write between 1 and 4 writeups will receive 5 GP per writeup plus a bonus of 50 GP for their participation.
- ALUMIN(I)UM NODERS who write between 5 and 9 writeups will receive 10 GP per writeup plus a bonus of 100 GP for their participation.
- BRASS NODERS who who write between 10 and 19 writeups will receive 15 GP per writeup plus a bonus of 150 GP for their participation.
- BRONZE NODERS who who write between 20 and 29 writeups will receive 20 GP per writeup plus a bonus of 200 GP for their participation.
- IRON NODERS who who write between 30 and 39 writeups will receive 30 GP per writeup, plus a bonus of 300 GP for their participation, plus a bonus of 3000 GP for achieving IRON NODER status, plus will have their names inscribed in THE HALL OF THE IRON.
- STEEL NODERS who who write between 40 and 49 writeups will receive 40 GP per writeup, plus a bonus of 400 GP for their participation, plus a bonus of 3000 GP for achieving IRON NODER status, plus will have their names inscribed in THE HALL OF THE IRON.
- STAINLESS STEEL NODERS who who write between 50 and 99 writeups will receive 50 GP per writeup, plus a bonus of 500 GP for their participation, plus a bonus of 3000 GP for achieving IRON NODER status, plus will have their names inscribed in THE HALL OF THE IRON.
- TITANIUM NODERS who who write between 100 and 199 writeups will receive 100 GP per writeup, plus a bonus of 1000 GP for their participation, plus a bonus of 3000 GP for achieving IRON NODER status, plus will have their names inscribed in THE HALL OF THE IRON.
- ORICHALCUM NODERS who who write between 200 and 299 writeups will receive 200 GP per writeup, plus a bonus of 2000 GP for their participation, plus a bonus of 3000 GP for achieving IRON NODER status, plus will have their names inscribed in THE HALL OF THE IRON.
- MITHRIL NODERS who who write between 300 and 399 writeups will receive 300 GP per writeup, plus a bonus of 3000 GP for their participation, plus a bonus of 3000 GP for achieving IRON NODER status, plus will have their names inscribed in THE HALL OF THE IRON.
- VIBRANIUM NODERS who who write between 400 and 499 writeups will receive 400 GP per writeup, plus a bonus of 4000 GP for their participation, plus a bonus of 3000 GP for achieving IRON NODER status, plus will have their names inscribed in THE HALL OF THE IRON.
- ADAMANTIUM NODERS who who write more than 500 writeups will receive 500 GP per writeup, plus a bonus of 5000 GP for their participation, plus a bonus of 3000 GP for achieving IRON NODER status, plus will have their names inscribed in THE HALL OF THE IRON.
- If anyone wishes to sponsor any additional rewards or prizes, just /msg mauler!
But lest ye be tempted to count your gold before the IRON is forged, be sure to heed...
- The Iron Noder Challenge begins at 00:00 (server time) on November 1, 2015, and ends at 00:00 (server time) on December 1, 2015. Writeups submitted outside that timeframe will not be considered part of the quest.
- To join the hallowed ranks of the IRON, you must submit 30 new writeups in 30 days. The IRON NODER IDEAL is 1
per day, but we must be flexible about that to allow for normal life
circumstances, days away, illness, etc. Flooding New Writeups with 30
writeups in 1 day, while legal, would be frowned upon, and the E2
userbase would probably not react well.
- Any topic, any form, anything goes.
- There is no minimum or maximum length for writeups. They must simply
survive. Nuked nodes will not count towards your total. For this
reason, final rewards will not be dispensed until a couple of days after
the December 1 deadline, to allow last-minute writeups to be voted on
and pass muster with the editors.
- Thou mayest write a maximum of 5 daylogs.
- Thou mayest prepare material in advance. However if this stops you
noding for the remainder of October, this would also go against
the IRON NODER IDEAL.
- Yes, you can also do NaNoWriMo. Yes, this makes you completely
insane. No, you can't have any more goodies for completing both.
If you would like to join, let me know via /msg, and I'll add you to
the roster. There is nothing wrong with joining late; just don't forget
to let me know!
We'll be utilizing the ironnoders usergroup for any major
communications; if you're in the group now and are not on my confirmed
IRON NODER list as of November 1st, you'll automatically be dropped from
If you'd like to see more accurate updates than I have posted here, check out iron noder progress. It even shows which ones
you've voted on!
Whether or not you're attempting the challenge, you may volunteer to read and vote on every write-up submitted in the quest. This year's panel of IRON VOTERS will consist of mauler, NanceMuse, Dustyblue, and anyone else who wants to join! Just /msg me and I'll add your name here (this is a great way to contribute to the quest if you don't have time to write actual writeups).
Need inspiration? Try Everything's Most Wanted, Random Nodeshells, the nodeshells on jessicapierce's scratch pad, The Custodian's Nodeshells I'd Like Filled, and wertperch's nodeshell challenge.
Good luck and remember, to be IRON is glorious, but rust never sleeps! Time to get back in the game.
The Iron Noders
Number of participants:
Number of writeups:
Average number of writeups:
Number of IRON NODERS:
Below are this year's participants. For up-to-the-minute standings, check out Iron Noder Progress!
- Gallia Braccata
THE CUSTODIAN (37)
- Halloween stands alone
- Skelter, part 3
- Telegraph Man
- Even the trees here are scrappy
- The Stacks
- The dying plowboy
- The 3 AM Food Truck
- The Chuck Norris Cadence
- out of whack
- Let no man steal your thyme
- The lonely vending machine of Amber Street
- Bike messenger, none the richer
- Summoners of the South Bronx
- Where is Connecticut?
- Fifth-Floor walkup
- You don't get to be a wizard by collecting bottlecaps
- You look so cute with your little whiskers and your bald tail and ow, ow, that's my fingernail!
- I'm Armed With Quarts of Blood
- Let's call it Henotheism
- You never write, you never call, you never tell me what you learned about that mighty groaning noise
- Tall John?
- You goofed, kid
- Pittsburgh Morse Error
- Give it back or I bite the little blue man
- The last car
- Gone Down
- Run Down
- The music of stillness sounds like a kazoo
- Cracks in the big blue ceiling
- instrument approach
- Non-directional beacon
- radar altimeter
- Instrument Approach Procedure Chart
- John Berkey
- laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy
- blowback operation
- Ash vs. Evil Dead
- Inside out
- The In-Laws
- Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World
- short recoil
- maraging steel
- Iconic New York
- port of call
- Floyd Bennett Field
- Q code
- November 19, 2015
- Jersey barrier
- Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation
- Fallout 4
- Gini coefficient
- Lorenz curve
- Last Thursdayism
- Treacherous turn
- 2010 TK7
- A man walks into a bar...
- Deck-building game
- Morton's Fork
- Star Realms
- game mechanic
- Steel man
- Elephant & Piggie
- Today I Will Fly!
- Chandler's Law
- Bottle bank
- motion sickness
- Quality-adjusted life year
- Effective Altruism
- Springform pan
- Teaching to the test
- Rolling Jubilee
- Bog butter
- One Writer’s Beginnings
- An emotion with no name
- On Being Nineteen
- The Gunslinger
- Infinite Loop: Girl with Black Eye
- Book Smarts
- Wild at Heart
- tech support
- The Drawing of the Three
- March 26, 2002
- internal combustion
- On Being Disowned
- Dime novel
- Choke Hold
- Passie Fay’s Lament
- Uncanny Valley Girl
- Out of Season
- after the funeral
- The Hunger Games
- The Waste Lands
- Sofa Nervosa
- While The Black Stars Burn
- The Bad Beginning
Pandeism Fish (16)
- Adverse Childhood Experiences 7: Revisiting Erikson
- Tree boat
- The Beat that my Heart Skipped
- Quimper Peninsula
- The Introverted Thinker stays up
- The Extroverted Feeler catches his first fish
- Pack up your sorrows
- November 4, 2015
- Long Black Veil
- Spare the rod
- What I believe
- Walk away
- Rural medicine crisis: Job offers
- Dinosaur doctor
- Choosing Love
- Why care for addicts?
- Awake at 2 I am hungry by 5
- Adverse Childhood Experiences 5: Love your brain
- Don't ask
- Adverse Childhood Experiences 8: Social cues
- Cheer for the other team
- Owning your own shadow
- November 17, 2015
- Jane Eyre's Sisters
- Manchild in the Promised Land
- dream state
- Home lizard
- fraud in medicine: mail order pharmacies
- Love letter I
- And in the dark, in the dark, the recording angel opens its hundred eyes and snaps the spine of the Book of Life
- where oh where is love
- Many Harry Returns
- Autobiography in Five Short Chapters
- The body rebels
- No guarantee
- at the end of the massage
- November 29, 2015
- fraud in medicine: medicare application
- Lambl's Excrescences
- Extracted bone demon
- The Christmas Tree Waiting in the Basement
- The 2016 game
- The problem of the least deserving person in Hell and the least deserving person in Heaven
- Superhabitable planet
- gravitational lensing
- Halfway to Pandeism
- The Mermaids of San Francisco
- Religion addiction
- Solar War
- A right to rewrite your religion
- The fury of falling for a false faith
- Can many fictions be woven into fact?
- Actors who have portrayed the parent(s) of a character portrayed by Ben Stiller
Glowing Fish (8)
- Retail Cannabis Aesthetics
- Ohio Issue 3
- Perry Mason
- The Case of the Hesitant Hostess
- Kittens Game
- Government Camp, Oregon
- Career of Evil
- The average distance between consecutive prime numbers
- The Stanley Parable
- November 5, 2015
- Dr. Dinosaur
- One Finger Death Punch
- November 11, 2015
- 8-Bit Theater
- Murder Hobo
- Less Wrong
- November 17, 2015
- Mandela Effect
- The Cats of Ulthar
- Autum 1112
- Dragon Ball Z Abridged
- November 23, 2015
- E2 Crossovers
- The Secret Lives of INTJs
- Meet the Team
- Conservation of Ninjutsu
- Pretentious Game
- Theory of everything
- Write Club
- Rules of Nature Goes with Everything
- Welcome to (insert website here)
- November 30, 2015
- These things are disintegrating
- Sometimes I remember
- Even monochrome is not so simple
- Jarring premonition
- Life is the great equalizer
- Einstein and his relativity
- Crawling out
- Being on your own
- The world used to exist in this empty space
- Everyone declines
- Looking at the sky
- Unreal happenings
- Remembering all those years ago
- The train ride of destiny
- What only the little mermaid knows
- The hypocrisy of being a teenager
- Day, sleep, and day
- To a distant stranger
- Switching places
- Working class thoughts
- November 29, 2015
- The Divine Comedy Summary for the Literary Novice: Inferno Cantos VII, VIII, IX
- The Divine Comedy Summary for the Literary Novice: Inferno Cantos X, XI, XII
- Galavant (Episodes 5 & 6)
- The Divine Comedy Summary for the Literary Novice: Inferno Cantos XIII, XIV, XV
- the eighth deadly sin
- affinity for business
- English words of Welsh origin
- a wanderer with borrowed light
- I whisper into the ears of Fate. Suggestions, taunts; course corrections.
- Ab abusu ad usum non valet consequentia
- architecture is frozen music
- Injuria Sine Damno
- is it enough that I search for candles?
- vescere bracis meis
- The etymology of entomology
- Fluctuat nec mergitur
- English millennial adverb truncation
- Religio Romana
- plot hole
- required reading
- Myoelastic-aerodynamic theory of phonation
- Phonological processes
- ex voto
- Bartle Test
- Borges and I
- You will have to fill in your own blank
- aleatory music
- Learn fer't speak Lankisher
- Magic: The Gathering
- November 1, 2015
- Performance Assessment for California Teachers
- Formative Assessment
- Summative Assessment
- Elisa's Monsters
- November 7, 2015
- November 5, 2015
- Buying a new car
- shock off