In chemistry, it describes the process in which a gel contracts on standing and exudes liquid.

One example is the separation of whey in cheese-making.

In dentistry, if a hydrocolloid impression is left to stand in an environment without sufficient moisture after the impression is taken, the impression will shrink & distort after a period of time. This dimensional change makes the impression, and the resultant model, inaccurate. Hence it needs to be wrapped in damp tissue - OR the impression needs to be poured up in dental plaster immediately.

In medicine this refers to the process of contraction that occurs to a blood clot. At the start of the clotting process there is a loose network of fibres, mixed in with plasma and blood cells. By this process the split blood vessels are sealed off, and a hard scab formed.

Syn*aer"e*sis, Syn*er"e*sis (?), n. [NL., fr. Gr. a taking or drawing together, fr. to take together; with + to take, to grasp. See Syn-, and Heresy.] Gram.

The union, or drawing together into one syllable, of two vowels that are ordinarily separated in syllabification; synecphonesis; -- the opposite of diaeresis.

 

© Webster 1913.


Syn*er"e*sis (?), n.

Same as Synaeresis.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.