A rapidly gentrifying inner-city suburb of Sydney, neighbour to Darlinghurst, Redfern, and Sydney City.

What was once some of the least desirable real-estate in the wide brown land is now packed with young urban professionals living cheek-to-jowl with the local junkies, textile workers, and News Corporation media magnates of this newly Class A suburb.

Known by the black clad hipsters of Sydney as Sorry Hills.

KEEP YOUR FILTHY HANDS OFF MY NODE TITLE, E2 EDITOR SWINES! THERE IS NO MISSING 'E' IN SYDNEY'S SURRY HILLS

This slowly and surely upwardly-mobile Eastern suburb of Sydney is a bit of a conundrum. Around 1788, when Sydney was first settled by the English, bringing their refuse in tow, the area now known as Surry Hills was a barrier to the early settlers. It was a geographical obstacle to the wilds of southern Sydney and more than one early chase of indigenous Australians moved through its terrain.

As the town grew, Surry hills became known as a den of iniquity, a place where a good citizen would not be caught dead. It gave rise to the term "Razor Gangs"; bands of extremely poor youths that attempted to move forward with not impetus, but with a blade. At one point, the suburb became known as razor hills. Gangs such as the reservoir push, named after one of the first water reservoirs in Sydney, made this area a total no go zone for the fledgling middle class of nineteenth century Sydney.

One of the first breweries in Sydney was located in Surry Hills, down hill from a cemetery. Its ground water source gave rise to its street name - "Dead man's beer"

Some 200 years on, Surry Hills is gaining in reputation, real estate price and esteem; commanding housing prices that would make a sensible person blush. However, it does have a lot of desirable elements; close proximity to the city (a bare 2 km), a plethora of trendy bars and restaurants as well as an all too hard to find sense of community in a large city. However, old habits die hard.

My great Aunt passed some 13 years ago. In her time she was not only a celebrated cabaret singer, but a shrewd real estate agent as well. Upon her deathbed, myself at the tender age of 18, she asked where I was living; "Surry Hills", I replied.

Aghast, she said - "That will be the end of you"

I love it here.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.