The process, in Guinness draught, in which the bubbles rise to the top (in the middle) and surge down the sides, forming the creamy head and creating a gorgeous visual spectacle.

Surge (?), n. [L. surgere, surrectum, to raise, to rise; sub under + regere to direct: cf. OF. surgeon, sourgeon, fountain. See Regent, and cf. Insurrection, Sortie, Source.]

1.

A spring; a fountain.

[Obs.] "Divers surges and springs of water."

Ld. Berners.

2.

A large wave or billow; a great, rolling swell of water, produced generally by a high wind.

He that doubteth is like the surge of the sea driven by the wind and tossed. James i. 6 (Rev. Ver.)

He flies aloft, and, with impetuous roar, Pursues the foaming surges to the shore. Dryden.

3.

The motion of, or produced by, a great wave.

4.

The tapered part of a windlass barrel or a capstan, upon which the cable surges, or slips.

 

© Webster 1913.


Surge, v. i.

1.

To swell; to rise hifg and roll.

The surging waters like a mountain rise. Spenser.

2. Naut.

To slip along a windlass.

 

© Webster 1913.


Surge, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Surged (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Surging (?).] [Cf. F. surgir to cast anchor, to land. Cf. Surge, n.] Naut.

To let go or slacken suddenly, as a rope; as, to surge a hawser or messenger; also, to slacken the rope about (a capstan).

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.