Surah 74 The Cloaked One - Al- Muddaththir, 56 verses (Makka)
In the name of God, Most Gracious, Most Merciful.
- O thou wrapped up (in the mantle)!
- Arise and deliver thy warning!
- And thy Lord do thou magnify!
- And thy garments keep free from stain!
- And all abomination shun!
- Nor expect, in giving, any increase (for thyself)!
- But, for thy Lord's (Cause), be patient and
- Finally, when the Trumpet is sounded,
- That will be- that Day - a Day of Distress,-
- Far from easy for those without Faith.
- Leave Me alone, (to deal) with the (creature) whom
I created (bare and) alone!-
- To whom I granted resources in abundance,
- And sons to be by his side!-
- To whom I made (life) smooth and comfortable!
- Yet is he greedy-that I should add (yet more);-
- By no means! For to Our Signs he has been
- Soon will I visit him with a mount of calamities!
- For he thought and he plotted;-
- And woe to him! How he plotted!-
- Yea, Woe to him; How he plotted!-
- Then he looked round;
- Then he frowned and he scowled;
- Then he turned back and was haughty;
- Then said he: "This is nothing but magic, derived
from of old;
- "This is nothing but the word of a mortal!"
- Soon will I cast him into Hell-Fire!
- And what will explain to thee what Hell-Fire is?
- Naught doth it permit to endure, and naught doth it
- Darkening and changing the colour of man!
- Over it are Nineteen.
- And We have set none but angels as Guardians of the
Fire; and We have fixed their number only as a trial
for Unbelievers,- in order that the People of the Book
may arrive at certainty, and the Believers may increase
in Faith,- and that no doubts may be left for the
People of the Book and the Believers, and that those in
whose hearts is a disease and the Unbelievers may say,
"What symbol doth God intend by this ?" Thus doth God
leave to stray whom He pleaseth, and guide whom He
pleaseth: and none can know the forces of thy Lord,
except He and this is no other than a warning to
- Nay, verily: By the Moon,
- And by the Night as it retreateth,
- And by the Dawn as it shineth forth,-
- This is but one of the mighty (portents),
- A warning to mankind,-
- To any of you that chooses to press forward, or to
- Every soul will be (held) in pledge for its deeds.
- Except the Companions of the Right Hand.
- (They will be) in Gardens (of Delight): they will
question each other,
- And (ask) of the Sinners:
- "What led you into Hell Fire?"
- They will say: "We were not of those who prayed;
- "Nor were we of those who fed the indigent;
- "But we used to talk vanities with vain talkers;
- "And we used to deny the Day of Judgment,
- "Until there came to us (the Hour) that is
- Then will no intercession of (any) intercessors
- Then what is the matter with them that they turn
away from admonition?-
- As if they were affrighted asses,
- Fleeing from a lion!
- Forsooth, each one of them wants to be given
scrolls (of revelation) spread out!
- By no means! But they fear not the Hereafter,
- Nay, this surely is an admonition:
- Let any who will, keep it in remembrance!
- But none will keep it in remembrance except as God
wills: He is the Lord of Righteousness, and the Lord of
Surah 73 The Enshrouded One
Surah 74 The Cloaked One
Surah 75 The Rising of the Dead