Surah 73 The Enshrouded One - Al-Muzammil, 20 verses (Makka)
In the name of God, Most Gracious, Most Merciful.
- O thou folded in garments!
- Stand (to prayer) by night, but not all night,-
- Half of it,- or a little less,
- Or a little more; and recite the Qur'an in slow,
measured rhythmic tones.
- Soon shall We send down to thee a weighty Message.
- Truly the rising by night is most potent for
governing (the soul), and most suitable for (framing)
the Word (of Prayer and Praise).
- True, there is for thee by day prolonged occupation
with ordinary duties:
- But keep in remembrance the name of thy Lord and
devote thyself to Him whole-heartedly.
- (He is) Lord of the East and the West: there is no
god but He: take Him therefore for (thy) Disposer of
- And have patience with what they say, and leave
them with noble (dignity).
- And leave Me (alone to deal with) those in
possession of the good things of life, who (yet) deny
the Truth; and bear with them for a little while.
- With Us are Fetters (to bind them), and a Fire (to
- And a Food that chokes, and a Penalty Grievous.
- One Day the earth and the mountains will be in
violent commotion. And the mountains will be as a heap
of sand poured out and flowing down.
- We have sent to you, (O men!) an apostle, to be a
witness concerning you, even as We sent an apostle to
- But Pharaoh disobeyed the apostle; so We seized him
with a heavy Punishment.
- Then how shall ye, if ye deny (God), guard
yourselves against a Day that will make children
- Whereon the sky will be cleft asunder? His Promise
needs must be accomplished.
- Verily this is an Admonition: therefore, whoso
will, let him take a (straight) path to his Lord!
- Thy Lord doth know that thou standest forth (to
prayer) nigh two-thirds of the night, or half the
night, or a third of the night, and so doth a party of
those with thee. But God doth appoint night and day in
due measure He knoweth that ye are unable to keep count
thereof. So He hath turned to you (in mercy): read ye,
therefore, of the Qur'an as much as may be easy for
you. He knoweth that there may be (some) among you in
ill-health; others travelling through the land, seeking
of God's bounty; yet others fighting in God's Cause,
read ye, therefore, as much of the Qur'an as may be
easy (for you); and establish regular Prayer and give
regular Charity; and loan to God a Beautiful Loan. And
whatever good ye send forth for your souls ye shall
find it in God's Presence,- yea, better and greater, in
Reward and seek ye the Grace of God: for God is
Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful.
Surah 72 The Jinn
Surah 73 The Enshrouded One
Surah 74 The Cloaked One