Surah 72 The Jinn - Al-Jinn, 28 verses (Makka)
In the name of God, Most Gracious, Most Merciful.
- Say: It has been revealed to me that a company of
Jinns listened (to the Qur'an). They said, 'We have
really heard a wonderful Recital!
- 'It gives guidance to the Right, and we have
believed therein: we shall not join (in worship) any
(gods) with our Lord.
- 'And Exalted is the Majesty of our Lord: He has
taken neither a wife nor a son.
- 'There were some foolish ones among us, who used to
utter extravagant lies against God;
- 'But we do think that no man or spirit should say
aught that untrue against God.
- 'True, there were persons among mankind who took
shelter with persons among the Jinns, but they
increased them in folly.
- 'And they (came to) think as ye thought, that God
would not raise up any one (to Judgment).
- 'And we pried into the secrets of heaven; but we
found it filled with stern guards and flaming fires.
- 'We used, indeed, to sit there in (hidden)
stations, to (steal) a hearing; but any who listen now
will find a flaming fire watching him in ambush.
- 'And we understand not whether ill is intended to
those on earth, or whether their Lord (really) intends
to guide them to right conduct.
- 'There are among us some that are righteous, and
some the contrary: we follow divergent paths.
- 'But we think that we can by no means frustrate God
throughout the earth, nor can we frustrate Him by
- 'And as for us, since we have listened to the
Guidance, we have accepted it: and any who believes in
his Lord has no fear, either of a short (account) or of
- 'Amongst us are some that submit their wills (to
God), and some that swerve from justice. Now those who
submit their wills - they have sought out (the path) of
- 'But those who swerve,- they are (but) fuel for
- (And God's Message is): "If they (the Pagans) had
(only) remained on the (right) Way, We should certainly
have bestowed on them Rain in abundance.
- "That We might try them by that (means). But if any
turns away from the remembrance of his Lord, He will
cause him to undergo a severe Penalty.
- "And the places of worship are for God (alone): So
invoke not any one along with God;
- "Yet when the Devotee of God stands forth to invoke
Him, they just make round him a dense crowd."
- Say: "I do no more than invoke my Lord, and I join
not with Him any (false god)."
- Say: "It is not in my power to cause you harm, or
to bring you to right conduct."
- Say: "No one can deliver me from God (If I were to
disobey Him), nor should I find refuge except in Him,
- "Unless I proclaim what I receive from God and His
Messages: for any that disobey God and His Apostle,-
for them is Hell: they shall dwell therein for ever."
- At length, when they see (with their own eyes) that
which they are promised,- then will they know who it is
that is weakest in (his) helper and least important in
point of numbers.
- Say: "I know not whether the (Punishment) which ye
are promised is near, or whether my Lord will appoint
for it a distant term.
- "He (alone) knows the Unseen, nor does He make any
one acquainted with His Mysteries,-
- "Except an apostle whom He has chosen: and then He
makes a band of watchers march before him and behind
- "That He may know that they have (truly) brought
and delivered the Messages of their Lord: and He
surrounds (all the mysteries) that are with them, and
takes account of every single thing."
Surah 71 Noah
Surah 72 The Jinn
Surah 73 The Enshrouded One