Surah 70 The Ascending Stairways - Al-Ma'arij, 44 verses (Makka)
In the name of God, Most Gracious, Most Merciful.
- A questioner asked about a Penalty to befall-
- The Unbelievers, the which there is none to ward
- (A Penalty) from God, Lord of the Ways of Ascent.
- The angels and the spirit ascend unto him in a Day
the measure whereof is (as) fifty thousand years:
- Therefore do thou hold Patience,- a Patience of
- They see the (Day) indeed as a far-off (event):
- But We see it (quite) near.
- The Day that the sky will be like molten brass,
- And the mountains will be like wool,
- And no friend will ask after a friend,
- Though they will be put in sight of each other,-
the sinner's desire will be: Would that he could redeem
himself from the Penalty of that Day by (sacrificing)
- His wife and his brother,
- His kindred who sheltered him,
- And all, all that is on earth,- so it could deliver
- By no means! for it would be the Fire of Hell!-
- Plucking out (his being) right to the skull!-
- Inviting (all) such as turn their backs and turn
away their faces (from the Right).
- And collect (wealth) and hide it (from use)!
- Truly man was created very impatient;-
- Fretful when evil touches him;
- And niggardly when good reaches him;-
- Not so those devoted to Prayer;-
- Those who remain steadfast to their prayer;
- And those in whose wealth is a recognised right.
- For the (needy) who asks and him who is prevented
(for some reason from asking);
- And those who hold to the truth of the Day of
- And those who fear the displeasure of their Lord,-
- For their Lord's displeasure is the opposite of
Peace and Tranquillity;-
- And those who guard their chastity,
- Except with their wives and the (captives) whom
their right hands possess,- for (then) they are not to
- But those who trespass beyond this are
- And those who respect their trusts and covenants;
- And those who stand firm in their testimonies;
- And those who guard (the sacredness) of their
- Such will be the honoured ones in the Gardens (of
- Now what is the matter with the Unbelievers that
they rush madly before thee-
- From the right and from the left, in crowds?
- Does every man of them long to enter the Garden of
- By no means! For We have created them out of the
(base matter) they know!
- Now I do call to witness the Lord of all points in
the East and the West that We can certainly-
- Substitute for them better (men) than they; And We
are not to be defeated (in Our Plan).
- So leave them to plunge in vain talk and play
about, until they encounter that Day of theirs which
they have been promised!-
- The Day whereon they will issue from their
sepulchres in sudden haste as if they were rushing to a
goal-post (fixed for them),-
- Their eyes lowered in dejection,- ignominy covering
them (all over)! such is the Day the which they are
Surah 69 The Reality
Surah 70 The Ascending Stairways
Surah 71 Noah