Surah 57 Iron - Al-Hadid, 29 verses (Madina)
In the name of God, Most Gracious, Most Merciful.
- Whatever is in the heavens and on earth,- let it
declare the Praises and Glory of God: for He is the
Exalted in Might, the Wise.
- To Him belongs the dominion of the heavens and the
earth: It is He Who gives Life and Death; and He has
Power over all things.
- He is the First and the Last, the Evident and the
Immanent: and He has full knowledge of all things.
- He it is Who created the heavens and the earth in
Six Days, and is moreover firmly established on the
Throne (of Authority). He knows what enters within the
earth and what comes forth out of it, what comes down
from heaven and what mounts up to it. And He is with
you wheresoever ye may be. And God sees well all that
- To Him belongs the dominion of the heavens and the
earth: and all affairs are referred back to God.
- He merges Night into Day, and He merges Day into
Night; and He has full knowledge of the secrets of
- Believe in God and His apostle, and spend (in
charity) out of the (substance) whereof He has made you
heirs. For, those of you who believe and spend (in
charity),- for them is a great Reward.
- What cause have ye why ye should not believe in
God?- and the Apostle invites you to believe in your
Lord, and has indeed taken your Covenant, if ye are men
- He is the One Who sends to His Servant Manifest
Signs, that He may lead you from the depths of Darkness
into the Light and verily God is to you most kind and
- And what cause have ye why ye should not spend in
the cause of God?- For to God belongs the heritage of
the heavens and the earth. Not equal among you are
those who spent (freely) and fought, before the
Victory, (with those who did so later). Those are
higher in rank than those who spent (freely) and fought
afterwards. But to all has God promised a goodly
(reward). And God is well acquainted with all that ye
- Who is he that will Loan to God a beautiful loan?
for (God) will increase it manifold to his credit, and
he will have (besides) a liberal Reward.
- One Day shalt thou see the believing men and the
believing women- how their Light runs forward before
them and by their right hands: (their greeting will
be): "Good News for you this Day! Gardens beneath which
flow rivers! to dwell therein for aye! This is indeed
the highest Achievement!"
- One Day will the Hypocrites- men and women - say to
the Believers: "Wait for us! Let us borrow (a Light)
from your Light!" It will be said: "Turn ye back to
your rear! then seek a Light (where ye can)!" So a wall
will be put up betwixt them, with a gate therein.
Within it will be Mercy throughout, and without it, all
alongside, will be (Wrath and) Punishment!
- (Those without) will call out, "Were we not with
you?" (The others) will reply, "True! but ye led
yourselves into temptation; ye looked forward (to our
ruin); ye doubted (God's Promise); and (your false)
desires deceived you; until there issued the Command of
God. And the Deceiver deceived you in respect of God.
- "This Day shall no ransom be accepted of you, nor
of those who rejected God." Your abode is the Fire:
that is the proper place to claim you: and an evil
refuge it is!"
- Has not the Time arrived for the Believers that
their hearts in all humility should engage in the
remembrance of God and of the Truth which has been
revealed (to them), and that they should not become
like those to whom was given Revelation aforetime, but
long ages passed over them and their hearts grew hard?
For many among them are rebellious transgressors.
- Know ye (all) that God giveth life to the earth
after its death! already have We shown the Signs
plainly to you, that ye may learn wisdom.
- For those who give in Charity, men and women, and
loan to God a Beautiful Loan, it shall be increased
manifold (to their credit), and they shall have
(besides) a liberal reward.
- And those who believe in God and His apostles- they
are the Sincere (lovers of Truth), and the witnesses
(who testify), in the eyes of their Lord: They shall
have their Reward and their Light. But those who reject
God and deny Our Signs,- they are the Companions of
- Know ye (all), that the life of this world is but
play and amusement, pomp and mutual boasting and
multiplying, (in rivalry) among yourselves, riches and
children. Here is a similitude: How rain and the growth
which it brings forth, delight (the hearts of) the
tillers; soon it withers; thou wilt see it grow yellow;
then it becomes dry and crumbles away. But in the
Hereafter is a Penalty severe (for the devotees of
wrong). And Forgiveness from God and (His) Good
Pleasure (for the devotees of God). And what is the
life of this world, but goods and chattels of
- Be ye foremost (in seeking) Forgiveness from your
Lord, and a Garden (of Bliss), the width whereof is as
the width of heaven and earth, prepared for those who
believe in God and His apostles: that is the Grace of
God, which He bestows on whom he pleases: and God is
the Lord of Grace abounding.
- No misfortune can happen on earth or in your souls
but is recorded in a decree before We bring it into
existence: That is truly easy for God:
- In order that ye may not despair over matters that
pass you by, nor exult over favours bestowed upon you.
For God loveth not any vainglorious boaster,-
- Such persons as are covetous and commend
covetousness to men. And if any turn back (from God's
Way), verily God is Free of all Needs, Worthy of all
- We sent aforetime our apostles with Clear Signs and
sent down with them the Book and the Balance (of Right
and Wrong), that men may stand forth in justice; and We
sent down Iron, in which is (material for) mighty war,
as well as many benefits for mankind, that God may test
who it is that will help, Unseen, Him and His apostles:
For God is Full of Strength, Exalted in Might (and able
to enforce His Will).
- And We sent Noah and Abraham, and established in
their line Prophethood and Revelation: and some of them
were on right guidance. But many of them became
- Then, in their wake, We followed them up with
(others of) Our apostles: We sent after them Jesus the
son of Mary, and bestowed on him the Gospel; and We
ordained in the hearts of those who followed him
Compassion and Mercy. But the Monasticism which they
invented for themselves, We did not prescribe for them:
(We commanded) only the seeking for the Good Pleasure
of God; but that they did not foster as they should
have done. Yet We bestowed, on those among them who
believed, their (due) reward, but many of them are
- O ye that believe! Fear God, and believe in His
Apostle, and He will bestow on you a double portion of
His Mercy: He will provide for you a Light by which ye
shall walk (straight in your path), and He will forgive
you (your past): for God is Oft-Forgiving, Most
- That the People of the Book may know that they have
no power whatever over the Grace of God, that (His)
Grace is (entirely) in His Hand, to bestow it on
whomsoever He wills. For God is the Lord of Grace
Surah 56 The Event
Surah 57 Iron
Surah 58 She that Disputeth