Surah 56 The Event - Al-Waqia, 96 verses (Makka)
In the name of God, Most Gracious, Most Merciful.
- When the Event inevitable cometh to pass,
- Then will no (soul) entertain falsehood concerning
- (Many) will it bring low; (many) will it exalt;
- When the earth shall be shaken to its depths,
- And the mountains shall be crumbled to atoms,
- Becoming dust scattered abroad,
- And ye shall be sorted out into three classes.
- Then (there will be) the Companions of the Right
Hand;- What will be the Companions of the Right Hand?
- And the Companions of the Left Hand,- what will be
the Companions of the Left Hand?
- And those Foremost (in Faith) will be Foremost (in
- These will be those Nearest to God:
- In Gardens of Bliss:
- A number of people from those of old,
- And a few from those of later times.
- (They will be) on Thrones encrusted (with gold and
- Reclining on them, facing each other.
- Round about them will (serve) youths of perpetual
- With goblets, (shining) beakers, and cups (filled)
out of clear-flowing fountains:
- No after-ache will they receive therefrom, nor will
they suffer intoxication:
- And with fruits, any that they may select:
- And the flesh of fowls, any that they may desire.
- And (there will be) Companions with beautiful, big,
and lustrous eyes,-
- Like unto Pearls well-guarded.
- A Reward for the deeds of their past (life).
- Not frivolity will they hear therein, nor any taint
- Only the saying, "Peace! Peace".
- The Companions of the Right Hand,- what will be the
Companions of the Right Hand?
- (They will be) among Lote-trees without thorns,
- Among Talh trees with flowers (or fruits) piled one
- In shade long-extended,
- By water flowing constantly,
- And fruit in abundance.
- Whose season is not limited, nor (supply)
- And on Thrones (of Dignity), raised high.
- We have created (their Companions) of special
- And made them virgin - pure (and undefiled), -
- Beloved (by nature), equal in age,-
- For the Companions of the Right Hand.
- A (goodly) number from those of old,
- And a (goodly) number from those of later times.
- The Companions of the Left Hand,- what will be the
Companions of the Left Hand?
- (They will be) in the midst of a Fierce Blast of
Fire and in Boiling Water,
- And in the shades of Black Smoke:
- Nothing (will there be) to refresh, nor to please:
- For that they were wont to be indulged, before
that, in wealth (and luxury),
- And persisted obstinately in wickedness supreme!
- And they used to say, "What! when we die and become
dust and bones, shall we then indeed be raised up
- "(We) and our fathers of old?"
- Say: "Yea, those of old and those of later times,
- "All will certainly be gathered together for the
meeting appointed for a Day well-known.
- "Then will ye truly,- O ye that go wrong, and treat
(Truth) as Falsehood!-
- "Ye will surely taste of the Tree of Zaqqum.
- "Then will ye fill your insides therewith,
- "And drink Boiling Water on top of it:
- "Indeed ye shall drink like diseased camels raging
- Such will be their entertainment on the Day of
- It is We Who have created you: why will ye not
witness the Truth?
- Do ye then see?- The (human Seed) that ye throw
- Is it ye who create it, or are We the Creators?
- We have decreed Death to be your common lot, and We
are not to be frustrated
- from changing your Forms and creating you (again)
in (forms) that ye know not.
- And ye certainly know already the first form of
creation: why then do ye not celebrate His praises?
- See ye the seed that ye sow in the ground?
- Is it ye that cause it to grow, or are We the
- Were it Our Will, We could crumble it to dry
powder, and ye would be left in wonderment,
- (Saying), "We are indeed left with debts (for
- "Indeed are we shut out (of the fruits of our
- See ye the water which ye drink?
- Do ye bring it down (in rain) from the cloud or do
- Were it Our Will, We could make it salt (and
unpalatable): then why do ye not give thanks?
- See ye the Fire which ye kindle?
- Is it ye who grow the tree which feeds the fire, or
do We grow it?
- We have made it a memorial (of Our handiwork), and
an article of comfort and convenience for the denizens
- Then celebrate with praises the name of thy Lord,
- Furthermore I call to witness the setting of the
- And that is indeed a mighty adjuration if ye but
- That this is indeed a qur'an Most Honourable,
- In Book well-guarded,
- Which none shall touch but those who are clean:
- A Revelation from the Lord of the Worlds.
- Is it such a Message that ye would hold in light
- And have ye made it your livelihood that ye should
declare it false?
- Then why do ye not (intervene) when (the soul of
the dying man) reaches the throat,-
- And ye the while (sit) looking on,-
- But We are nearer to him than ye, and yet see not,-
- Then why do ye not,- If you are exempt from
- Call back the soul, if ye are true (in the claim of
- Thus, then, if he be of those Nearest to God,
- (There is for him) Rest and Satisfaction, and a
Garden of Delights.
- And if he be of the Companions of the Right Hand,
- (For him is the salutation), "Peace be unto thee",
from the Companions of the Right Hand.
- And if he be of those who treat (Truth) as
Falsehood, who go wrong,
- For him is Entertainment with Boiling Water.
- And burning in Hell-Fire.
- Verily, this is the Very Truth and Certainly.
- So celebrate with praises the name of thy Lord, the
Surah 55 The Beneficent
Surah 56 The Event
Surah 57 Iron