Surah 53 The Star - An-Najm, 62 verses (Makka)
In the name of God, Most Gracious, Most Merciful.
- By the Star when it goes down,-
- Your Companion is neither astray nor being misled.
- Nor does he say (aught) of (his own) Desire.
- It is no less than inspiration sent down to him:
- He was taught by one Mighty in Power,
- Endued with Wisdom: for he appeared (in stately
- While he was in the highest part of the horizon:
- Then he approached and came closer,
- And was at a distance of but two bow-lengths or
- So did (God) convey the inspiration to His Servant-
(conveyed) what He (meant) to convey.
- The (Prophet's) (mind and) heart in no way
falsified that which he saw.
- Will ye then dispute with him concerning what he
- For indeed he saw him at a second descent,
- Near the Lote-tree beyond which none may pass:
- Near it is the Garden of Abode.
- Behold, the Lote-tree was shrouded (in mystery
- (His) sight never swerved, nor did it go wrong!
- For truly did he see, of the Signs of his Lord, the
- Have ye seen Lat. and 'Uzza,
- And another, the third (goddess), Manat?
- What! for you the male sex, and for Him, the
- Behold, such would be indeed a division most
- These are nothing but names which ye have devised,-
ye and your fathers,- for which God has sent down no
authority (whatever). They follow nothing but
conjecture and what their own souls desire!- Even
though there has already come to them Guidance from
- Nay, shall man have (just) anything he hankers
- But it is to God that the End and the Beginning (of
all things) belong.
- How many-so-ever be the angels in the heavens,
their intercession will avail nothing except after God
has given leave for whom He pleases and that he is
acceptable to Him.
- Those who believe not in the Hereafter, name the
angels with female names.
- But they have no knowledge therein. They follow
nothing but conjecture; and conjecture avails nothing
- Therefore shun those who turn away from Our Message
and desire nothing but the life of this world.
- That is as far as knowledge will reach them. Verily
thy Lord knoweth best those who stray from His Path,
and He knoweth best those who receive guidance.
- Yea, to God belongs all that is in the heavens and
on earth: so that He rewards those who do evil,
according to their deeds, and He rewards those who do
good, with what is best.
- Those who avoid great sins and shameful deeds, only
(falling into) small faults,- verily thy Lord is ample
in forgiveness. He knows you well when He brings you
out of the earth, And when ye are hidden in your
mothers' wombs. Therefore justify not yourselves: He
knows best who it is that guards against evil.
- Seest thou one who turns back,
- Gives a little, then hardens (his heart)?
- What! Has he knowledge of the Unseen so that he can
- Nay, is he not acquainted with what is in the Books
- And of Abraham who fulfilled his engagements?-
- Namely, that no bearer of burdens can bear the
burden of another;
- That man can have nothing but what he strives for;
- That (the fruit of) his striving will soon come in
- Then will he be rewarded with a reward complete;
- That to thy Lord is the final Goal;
- That it is He Who granteth Laughter and Tears;
- That it is He Who granteth Death and Life;
- That He did create in pairs,- male and female,
- From a seed when lodged (in its place);
- That He hath promised a Second Creation (Raising of
- That it is He Who giveth wealth and satisfaction;
- That He is the Lord of Sirius (the Mighty Star);
- And that it is He Who destroyed the (powerful)
ancient 'Ad (people),
- And the Thamud nor gave them a lease of perpetual
- And before them, the people of Noah, for that they
were (all) most unjust and most insolent transgressors,
- And He destroyed the Overthrown Cities (of Sodom
- So that (ruins unknown) have covered them up.
- Then which of the gifts of thy Lord, (O man,) wilt
thou dispute about?
- This is a Warner, of the (series of) Warners of
- The (Judgment) ever approaching draws nigh:
- No (soul) but God can lay it bare.
- Do ye then wonder at this recital?
- And will ye laugh and not weep,-
- Wasting your time in vanities?
- But fall ye down in prostration to God, and adore
Surah 52 The Mount
Surah 53 The Star
Surah 54 The Moon