Surah 51 The Winnowing Winds - Az-Zariyat, 60 verses (Makka)
In the name of God, Most Gracious, Most Merciful.
- By the (Winds) that scatter broadcast;
- And those that lift and bear away heavy weights;
- And those that flow with ease and gentleness;
- And those that distribute and apportion by
- Verily that which ye are promised is true;
- And verily Judgment and Justice must indeed come to
- By the Sky with (its) numerous Paths,
- Truly ye are in a doctrine discordant,
- Through which are deluded (away from the Truth)
such as would be deluded.
- Woe to the falsehood-mongers,-
- Those who (flounder) heedless in a flood of
- They ask, "When will be the Day of Judgment and
- (It will be) a Day when they will be tried (and
tested) over the Fire!
- "Taste ye your trial! This is what ye used to ask
to be hastened!"
- As to the Righteous, they will be in the midst of
Gardens and Springs,
- Taking joy in the things which their Lord gives
them, because, before then, they lived a good life.
- They were in the habit of sleeping but little by
- And in the hour of early dawn, they (were found)
praying for Forgiveness;
- And in their wealth and possessions (was
remembered) the right of the (needy,) him who asked,
and him who (for some reason) was prevented (from
- On the earth are signs for those of assured Faith,
- As also in your own selves: Will ye not then see?
- And in heaven is your Sustenance, as (also) that
which ye are promised.
- Then, by the Lord of heaven and earth, this is the
very Truth, as much as the fact that ye can speak
intelligently to each other.
- Has the story reached thee, of the honoured guests
- Behold, they entered his presence, and said:
"Peace!" He said, "Peace!" (and thought, "These seem)
- Then he turned quickly to his household, brought
out a fatted calf,
- And placed it before them.. he said, "Will ye not
- (When they did not eat), He conceived a fear of
them. They said, "Fear not," and they gave him glad
tidings of a son endowed with knowledge.
- But his wife came forward (laughing) aloud: she
smote her forehead and said: "A barren old woman!"
- They said, "Even so has thy Lord spoken: and He is
full of Wisdom and Knowledge."
- (Abraham) said: "And what, O ye Messengers, is your
- They said, "We have been sent to a people (deep) in
- "To bring on, on them, (a shower of) stones of clay
- "Marked as from thy Lord for those who trespass
- Then We evacuated those of the Believers who were
- But We found not there any just (Muslim) persons
except in one house:
- And We left there a Sign for such as fear the
- And in Moses (was another Sign): Behold, We sent
him to Pharaoh, with authority manifest.
- But (Pharaoh) turned back with his Chiefs, and
said, "A sorcerer, or one possessed!"
- So We took him and his forces, and threw them into
the sea; and his was the blame.
- And in the 'Ad (people) (was another Sign): Behold,
We sent against them the devastating Wind:
- It left nothing whatever that it came up against,
but reduced it to ruin and rottenness.
- And in the Thamud (was another Sign): Behold, they
were told, "Enjoy (your brief day) for a little while!"
- But they insolently defied the Command of their
Lord: So the stunning noise (of an earthquake) seized
them, even while they were looking on.
- Then they could not even stand (on their feet), nor
could they help themselves.
- So were the People of Noah before them for they
- With power and skill did We construct the
Firmament: for it is We Who create the vastness of
- And We have spread out the (spacious) earth: How
excellently We do spread out!
- And of every thing We have created pairs: That ye
may receive instruction.
- Hasten ye then (at once) to God: I am from Him a
Warner to you, clear and open!
- And make not another an object of worship with God:
I am from Him a Warner to you, clear and open!
- Similarly, no apostle came to the Peoples before
them, but they said (of him) in like manner, "A
sorcerer, or one possessed"!
- Is this the legacy they have transmitted, one to
another? Nay, they are themselves a people
transgressing beyond bounds!
- So turn away from them: not thine is the blame.
- But teach (thy Message) for teaching benefits the
- I have only created Jinns and men, that they may
- No Sustenance do I require of them, nor do I
require that they should feed Me.
- For God is He Who gives (all) Sustenance,- Lord of
Power,- Steadfast (for ever).
- For the Wrong-doers, their portion is like unto the
portion of their fellows (of earlier generations): then
let them not ask Me to hasten (that portion)!
- Woe, then, to the Unbelievers, on account of that
Day of theirs which they have been promised!
Surah 50 Qaf
Surah 51 The Winnowing Winds
Surah 52 The Mount