Surah 43 Ornaments of Gold - Az-Zukhruf, 89 verses (Makka)
In the name of God, Most Gracious, Most Merciful.
- By the Book that makes things clear,-
- We have made it a Qur'an in Arabic, that ye may be
able to understand (and learn wisdom).
- And verily, it is in the Mother of the Book, in Our
Presence, high (in dignity), full of wisdom.
- Shall We then take away the Message from you and
repel (you), for that ye are a people transgressing
- But how many were the prophets We sent amongst the
peoples of old?
- And never came there a prophet to them but they
- So We destroyed (them)- stronger in power than
these;- and (thus) has passed on the Parable of the
peoples of old.
- If thou wert to question them, 'Who created the
heavens and the earth?' They would be sure to reply,
'they were created by (Him), the Exalted in Power, Full
- (Yea, the same that) has made for you the earth
(like a carpet) spread out, and has made for you roads
(and channels) therein, in order that ye may find
guidance (on the way);
- That sends down (from time to time) rain from the
sky in due measure;- and We raise to life therewith a
land that is dead; even so will ye be raised (from the
- That has created pairs in all things, and has made
for you ships and cattle on which ye ride,
- In order that ye may sit firm and square on their
backs, and when so seated, ye may celebrate the (kind)
favour of your Lord, and say, "Glory to Him Who has
subjected these to our (use), for we could never have
accomplished this (by ourselves),
- "And to our Lord, surely, must we turn back!"
- Yet they attribute to some of His servants a share
with Him (in his godhead)! truly is man a blasphemous
- What! has He taken daughters out of what He himself
creates, and granted to you sons for choice?
- When news is brought to one of them of (the birth
of) what he sets up as a likeness to (God) Most
Gracious, his face darkens, and he is filled with
- Is then one brought up among trinkets, and unable
to give a clear account in a dispute (to be associated
- And they make into females angels who themselves
serve God. Did they witness their creation? Their
evidence will be recorded, and they will be called to
- ("Ah!") they say, "If it had been the will of (God)
Most Gracious, we should not have worshipped such
(deities)!" Of that they have no knowledge! they do
nothing but lie!
- What! have We given them a Book before this, to
which they are holding fast?
- Nay! they say: "We found our fathers following a
certain religion, and we do guide ourselves by their
- Just in the same way, whenever We sent a Warner
before thee to any people, the wealthy ones among them
said: "We found our fathers following a certain
religion, and we will certainly follow in their
- He said: "What! Even if I brought you better
guidance than that which ye found your fathers
following?" They said: "For us, we deny that ye
(prophets) are sent (on a mission at all)."
- So We exacted retribution from them: now see what
was the end of those who rejected (Truth)!
- Behold! Abraham said to his father and his people:
"I do indeed clear myself of what ye worship:
- "(I worship) only Him Who made me, and He will
certainly guide me."
- And he left it as a Word to endure among those who
came after him, that they may turn back (to God).
- Yea, I have given the good things of this life to
these (men) and their fathers, until the Truth has come
to them, and an apostle making things clear.
- But when the Truth came to them, they said: "This
is sorcery, and we do reject it."
- Also, they say: "Why is not this Qur'an sent down
to some leading man in either of the two (chief)
- Is it they who would portion out the Mercy of thy
Lord? It is We Who portion out between them their
livelihood in the life of this world: and We raise some
of them above others in ranks, so that some may command
work from others. But the Mercy of thy Lord is better
than the (wealth) which they amass.
- And were it not that (all) men might become of one
(evil) way of life, We would provide, for everyone that
blasphemes against (God) Most Gracious, silver roofs
for their houses and (silver) stair-ways on which to go
- And (silver) doors to their houses, and thrones (of
silver) on which they could recline,
- And also adornments of gold. But all this were
nothing but conveniences of the present life: The
Hereafter, in the sight of thy Lord is for the
- If anyone withdraws himself from remembrance of
(God) Most Gracious, We appoint for him an evil one, to
be an intimate companion to him.
- Such (evil ones) really hinder them from the Path,
but they think that they are being guided aright!
- At length, when (such a one) comes to Us, he says
(to his evil companion): "Would that between me and
thee were the distance of East and West!" Ah! evil is
the companion (indeed)!
- When ye have done wrong, it will avail you nothing,
that Day, that ye shall be partners in Punishment!
- Canst thou then make the deaf to hear, or give
direction to the blind or to such as (wander) in
- Even if We take thee away, We shall be sure to
exact retribution from them,
- Or We shall show thee that (accomplished) which We
have promised them: for verily We shall prevail over
- So hold thou fast to the Revelation sent down to
thee; verily thou art on a Straight Way.
- The (Qur'an) is indeed the message, for thee and
for thy people; and soon shall ye (all) be brought to
- And question thou our apostles whom We sent before
thee; did We appoint any deities other than (God) Most
Gracious, to be worshipped?
- We did send Moses aforetime, with Our Signs, to
Pharaoh and his Chiefs: He said, "I am an apostle of
the Lord of the Worlds."
- But when he came to them with Our Signs, behold
they ridiculed them.
- We showed them Sign after Sign, each greater than
its fellow, and We seized them with Punishment, in
order that they might turn (to Us).
- And they said, "O thou sorcerer! Invoke thy Lord
for us according to His covenant with thee; for we
shall truly accept guidance."
- But when We removed the Penalty from them, behold,
they broke their word.
- And Pharaoh proclaimed among his people, saying: "O
my people! Does not the dominion of Egypt belong to me,
(witness) these streams flowing underneath my (palace)?
What! see ye not then?
- "Am I not better than this (Moses), who is a
contemptible wretch and can scarcely express himself
- "Then why are not gold bracelets bestowed on him,
or (why) come (not) with him angels accompanying him in
- Thus did he make fools of his people, and they
obeyed him: truly were they a people rebellious
- When at length they provoked Us, We exacted
retribution from them, and We drowned them all.
- And We made them (a people) of the Past and an
Example to later ages.
- When (Jesus) the son of Mary is held up as an
example, behold, thy people raise a clamour thereat (in
- And they say, "Are our gods best, or he?" This they
set forth to thee, only by way of disputation: yea,
they are a contentious people.
- He was no more than a servant: We granted Our
favour to him, and We made him an example to the
Children of Israel.
- And if it were Our Will, We could make angels from
amongst you, succeeding each other on the earth.
- And (Jesus) shall be a Sign (for the coming of) the
Hour (of Judgment): therefore have no doubt about the
(Hour), but follow ye Me: this is a Straight Way.
- Let not the Evil One hinder you: for he is to you
an enemy avowed.
- When Jesus came with Clear Signs, he said: "Now
have I come to you with Wisdom, and in order to make
clear to you some of the (points) on which ye dispute:
therefore fear God and obey me.
- "For God, He is my Lord and your Lord: so worship
ye Him: this is a Straight Way."
- But sects from among themselves fell into
disagreement: then woe to the wrong-doers, from the
Penalty of a Grievous Day!
- Do they only wait for the Hour - that it should
come on them all of a sudden, while they perceive not?
- Friends on that day will be foes, one to another,-
except the Righteous.
- My devotees! no fear shall be on you that Day, nor
shall ye grieve,-
- (Being) those who have believed in Our Signs and
bowed (their wills to Ours) in Islam.
- Enter ye the Garden, ye and your wives, in (beauty
- To them will be passed round, dishes and goblets of
gold: there will be there all that the souls could
desire, all that their ayes could delight in: and ye
shall abide therein (for eye).
- Such will be the Garden of which ye are made heirs
for your (good) deeds (in life).
- Ye shall have therein abundance of fruit, from
which ye shall have satisfaction.
- The sinners will be in the Punishment of Hell, to
dwell therein (for aye):
- Nowise will the (Punishment) be lightened for them,
and in despair will they be there overwhelmed.
- Nowise shall We be unjust to them: but it is they
who have been unjust themselves.
- They will cry: "O Malik! would that thy Lord put an
end to us!" He will say, "Nay, but ye shall abide!"
- Verily We have brought the Truth to you: but most
of you have a hatred for Truth.
- What! have they settled some plan (among
themselves)? But it is We Who settle things.
- Or do they think that We hear not their secrets and
their private counsels? Indeed (We do), and Our
messengers are by them, to record.
- Say: "If (God) Most Gracious had a son, I would be
the first to worship."
- Glory to the Lord of the heavens and the earth, the
Lord of the Throne (of Authority)! (He is free) from
the things they attribute (to him)!
- So leave them to babble and play (with vanities)
until they meet that Day of theirs, which they have
- It is He Who is God in heaven and God on earth; and
He is full of Wisdom and Knowledge.
- And blessed is He to Whom belongs the dominion of
the heavens and the earth, and all between them: with
Him is the Knowledge of the Hour (of Judgment): and to
Him shall ye be brought back.
- And those whom they invoke besides God have no
power of intercession;- only he who bears witness to
the Truth, and they know (him).
- If thou ask them, who created them, they will
certainly say, God: How then are they deluded away
(from the Truth)?
- (God has knowledge) of the (Prophet's) cry, "O my
Lord! Truly these are people who will not believe!"
- But turn away from them, and say "Peace!" But soon
shall they know!
Surah 42 Council
Surah 43 Ornaments of Gold
Surah 44 Smoke